flush the engine

harley04

Cadet
i have a i/o. i took it out in salt water. when i got home to flush the engine, i couldnt get it started, is there any other way i can flush it, til i get her started?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: flush the engine

What engine and drive? Raw water cooled, or do you have a heat exchanger?
Why won't it start?

harley04

Cadet

i believe it is a 79 chevy 4cyl. and i think it is raw water cooled, but not sure. my first boat. not sure why it wont start. i took it out, it ran fine. got it home,went to flush and it wouldnt start. i just had the starter rebuilt, it has a new battery, but on my pannel, it says i have no voltage. i even tried to jump start it, and nothing, not even a spark from the ground cable. thanks for any info!

natwales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First thing I would check in the voltage across the battery directly. If you are getting a good reading, then I would check and cleanup all of your electrical connections at the battery, starter and altenator to make sure they are not corroded.

You also might want to try shorting the starter directly with a fresh battery to see if that cranks the engine.

I don't remember the url, but Don S put togeather a great post on troubleshooting starting problems.

harley04

Cadet

today i jumped the battery straight to the starter, and she fired right up...after i shut her off, i tried to start her up again, and she started right up again without the jump from the battery to the starter...could it be a bad starter relay?