running lights won't work with Ford truck

ski88girl23

Cadet
All the lights on my boat trailer work with other vehicles, but the running lights will not work when I hookup the trailer to my truck. I've checked the fuses and the ground wire. I don't know what else to check. Any ideas?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: running lights won't work with Ford truck

Does your truck have amber rear turn signals separate from stop and running lights? If so, you need a special electronic unit. Not too expensive--sold in auto stores and marinas.

ski88girl23

Cadet

Okay I had to go check it out, but my truck doesn't have the amber turn signals seperate from the stop and running lights. The turn signal was just the running light on top flashing. I'm sure the problem has to do with my truck because the trailer lights all worked when I hooked it up to my mom's truck.
Here's something I don't understand about the 4-prong connector on the trailer, it has 5 wires. It has the white ground, the brown for running lights, the yellow and green for stop & turn, and then it has a black wire too. There's still only 4 prongs on the connector but it has the 5 wires. My truck has the usual 4 prong connector with the usual 4 wires.

Gabby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure why your four way flat has a black wire. Never seen that. However,you already nailed the problem, if the boat lights work on other tow vehicles, your problem is the truck.

Is it a prewired connection, i.e. tow package and factory wiring or has someone spliced into the wiring harness with an aftermarket connector? I'm guessing after market.

Either way, with a 12V tester you can check the tailight's on your plug. (brown wire on the plug on the truck).

ANother option is to look underneath and make sure the connector wires are all connected. If aftermarket, they may be connected with little blue 3M splicers. The brown wire on the connector should be on the brown wire of your wiring harness. The turn/brakes on a ford are green with an orange stripe and orange with a blue stripe. Black or gray is ground.

Good luck. Re: the two way vs. three way (orange turns) that would affect your turn / brake signals but NOT your running lights.

Good luck.

(worst case, go to a U Haul Center, not a gas station that rents U-Hauls, but a UHaul owned center and pretend you want to rent a trailer in the future, and ask that they check your wiring. They'll do it for nothing). 8)

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

This is a fairly simple problem to sort out but if you don't have the basic circuit testing tools and don't know what you’re looking for than its time to take the truck down to your local auto elec and get it wired correctly, should take them 15 mins to half hour max. Good luck.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

some of the newer 4 prong connector have 5 wires, two of the wires go to 1 prong, this is the tail/running light prong, they are brown w/ green chaser and brown with yellow chaser. suppose to make it easier to connect the tail lights.

white--ground
yellow-- l/h stop/turn
yellow/brown--l/h tail running
green/brown--r/h tail running
green--r/h stop/turn

also see my note in the link about independant ground wire.

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=27;gtid=1286648

ski88girl23

Cadet

ok, thanks for the advice. Looks like I've got my day planned for me looking for the cause of this problem.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

by the way, Welcome to iboats. we welcome the ladies, and teenagers, interested in boating.

ski88girl23

Cadet

paulie0735 said:
This is a fairly simple problem to sort out but if you don't have the basic circuit testing tools and don't know what you’re looking for than its time to take the truck down to your local auto elec and get it wired correctly, should take them 15 mins to half hour max. Good luck.

Wow, Paulie you are a lot of help, not. Keep your stupidity to yourself.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Hey! Paulie may genuinly have been trying to help. No need to go off on him. Now please don't get on me because I stuck my 2 cents in. Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Frank,

I am with you...I was thinking the same thing.

ski88girl23

Cadet

bruceb58 said:
Frank,

I am with you...I was thinking the same thing.

Sorry guys, I guess I get my hackles up when I smell the "little lady" type comments.
But for the record, a boat mechanic, an electrician, my husband, brother, and other random "lets talk about my boat" guys have looked at my boat trailer and truck problem. No one seems to find the problem.
So, Paulie the guys have all checked it out and no one came back in 15 or 30 mins with all the problems solved.

Bondo

Staff member

So, Paulie the guys have all checked it out and no one came back in 15 or 30 mins with all the problems solved

If you could explain just What you, or your friends Found,....
It'll be easier to Help you find the Problem........

Is there Power at the Brown Wire coming from the Truck,..?..??.....

My ford (99 F 150)has fuses for the truck lights. One for each side, under the dash. And one for running lights
It also has 3fuses for the trailer light wiring under the hood in another fuse box.
You should check the fuses under the hood.

studlymandingo

Commander

The 4 way tester that tashasdaddy linked to you above is in my glove box. Whenever I have a trailer light not working (not an uncommon occurance by any means) I plug it in to check my truck wiring first. I think I picked the little thing up at Wally World for less than 3 bucks.

Gabby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll say it again. Go to a U-Haul Center. I worked at one for two years part time. They ALL should have a person on staff that installs hitches, wiring harnesses, oil coolers, transmission coolers, etc. At one time, they were the largest hitch installers in the nation. May still be, I don't know. If you go to one, they will find the problem. Either for a small fee or free if they are under the impression you may be wanting to rent a trailer in the future...(Hey, I'm not TELLING you to fib, I'm just saying). And if your problem IS the harness, or the connection, or anything else, they'l have the new ones, But don't buy it there, they WILL gouge you. Go back to Wally World. Just find out WHAT to do to fix it.

Frugal Floater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another word of advice if Uhaul installs your wiring and you live where it snows....Make sure the wiring harness module is tucked up and away from salt spray....My module nearly caught my Escape on fire as the corrosion from the spray caused the entire thing to melt and smoke....Not to mention it blew a bunch of 15 amp fuses. They were cool about it and replaced it for free, but tucked it up where spary could not screw it up again.