gear ratio differences

73vette

Recruit
whats the gear ratio differences between a 1985 black max and a 1989 black max xr4 and will they interchange

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: gear ratio differences

Per my sales brochures, over the years Merc/Mariner ran 3 ratio's and 2 gearbox diameters on the 150 including the XR/Magnum series. I can't tell you exactly which is which.

They had 4 1/4" and 4 3/4" gearboxes and ran 2.0:1, 1.87:1, and 1.78:1 ratio's. I know in '94 Mariner had the smaller gearbox and 1.78 ratio. I can't prove or disprove if Merc had that also or if it was unique to Mariner. By '97 merc was only offering the 2 or 1.87. They both originally had the 2 liter powerhead and later on the XR/Magnum had a 2.5 liter powerhead. Seems the larger powerhead had the l.87 gearbox.....but also had the 4 1/4 box, at least for awhile..... whether or not it was on the XR I don't know.....but you can measure it.

In short here are some options. With a ruler and counting turns per turn you may be able to get your answer. Sorry, this is the best I can do.

Mark

73vette

Recruit

Texasmark said:
Per my sales brochures, over the years Merc/Mariner ran 3 ratio's and 2 gearbox diameters on the 150 including the XR/Magnum series. I can't tell you exactly which is which.

They had 4 1/4" and 4 3/4" gearboxes and ran 2.0:1, 1.87:1, and 1.78:1 ratio's. I know in '94 Mariner had the smaller gearbox and 1.78 ratio. I can't prove or disprove if Merc had that also or if it was unique to Mariner. By '97 merc was only offering the 2 or 1.87. They both originally had the 2 liter powerhead and later on the XR/Magnum had a 2.5 liter powerhead. Seems the larger powerhead had the l.87 gearbox.....but also had the 4 1/4 box, at least for awhile..... whether or not it was on the XR I don't know.....but you can measure it.

In short here are some options. With a ruler and counting turns per turn you may be able to get your answer. Sorry, this is the best I can do.

Mark

thanks for the info mark, i,ll have to do some more research.

todd

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Surely someone in the know will pick up on this. This will bump it back up into view.

Mark