98 Johnson 115 SPL Starting question

GatorMike

Ensign
If I am not mistaken the standard proceedure for starting this motor is to put it in neutral, advance the throttle to the full open position, turn the key and push the choke.

If I follow this proceedure with a cold engine it takes several minutes to start. However if I open the throtle to the 3/4 position she will start at the first turn of the key whether she is hot or cold,

Don't get me wrong, the engine runs great, idles fine and never stalls. I am just curious if what I describe might point to an improper timeing or spark advance or maybe something else or if it is normal. Like I said I have no problem with the way the motor starts or runs just want to be sure something isn't out of adjustment that could damage my motor.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 98 Johnson 115 SPL Starting question

If it starts best with the fast idle lever at 1/2 to 3/4 up then that's what you should use. There is simply no need to raise the fast idle lever full up unless the engine is flooded. Then it needs all the air it can get. Otherwise just enough fast idle to keep it running during warm up is all thats needed.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

First, pump the bulb until firm, then put the lever in whatever position it starts easiest in, it can be different with every motor. My 98 90HP SPL likes no throttle at all. Turn the key on, then push the primer (choke) for 5-8 seconds, then try to start it. You need to push the primer so gas will flow into the motor before you turn the key.

GatorMike

Ensign

Thanks Silvertip but not exactly what I asked. I was wondering if the fact that the engine won't start with the throttle advanced full would be normal or if it would point to something being out of adjustment.

GatorMike

Ensign

Let me try to explain a little better since I seem to be getting answers on how to start the engine.

The problem isn't that the motor won't start, it starts and runs fine if like Silvertip suggested I start it in the position where it starts best. As a matter of fact it starts on the first turn of the key even cold. I was just asking since it doesn't start with the throttle full open like the manual says do I have a potential problem. Maybe I need to go back and re read the manual maybe that isn't the proper proceedure.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Having the throttle advanced all the way without pumping the bulb or holding the primer on first will result in more cranking before enough fuel gets in the motor for it to start.

An open throttle with no fuel will have it trying to start on a very lean mixture and it needs just the opposite.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you have a method of starting it that only needs one turn of the key, then nothing is wrong.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You may find that your service manual will give you some idea as to the differences from your experience and that of others. Your engine, I believe, has QuikStart in a configuration that advances the throttle by 10 degrees until the engine reaches a set temperature. If the throttle is advanced to allow the engine to reach 1100 RPM, QuikStart is disabled and its usefulness may be lost. On some QuikStart configurations, using the warm up lever automatically disables QuikStart.

The basic information is covered in most service manuals towards the end of the Ignition section.

QuikStart runs for the first 5 seconds anyway, regardless of engine temperature, so you usually get a nice start. After that 5 seconds, though, results can vary dramatically depending on your actions.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Mike -- With all due respect, you started your post by saying "If I'm not mistaken ----". The answers you got all indicate that you are indeed mistaken about the starting procedure. Every two stroke engine, often within the same model/year have different starting procedures. Why would you continue to use a procedure that doesn't work, and why would you assume that because that incorrect procedure doesn't work, that it would be an indication of a problem? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

GatorMike

Ensign

I stand corrected. I hunted up my owners manual and it does say the best throttle position will vary from engine to engine. Guess I shouldn't rely on memory at my age. I could have swore it said full throttle. I feel better now. Thanks guys.