sloppy steering-gimbal housing

jearl

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1978 glassply 24' with a 260 mercruiser. the steering is pretty sloppy and the outdrive has a lot of freeplay from side to side. local boat mechanic tells me I have the old style small splines and worn to near replacement threshold. does this make sense? I have been looking around for an outer gimbal housing that has the newer square cog instead of the splined shaft. looks like the alpha drive parts should fit my MR drive but thought I better double check and get a few more expert opinions. the boat is in otherwise perfect shape and only has 600 hrs. I do seem to have some play on the inboard side where the steering arm ataches but cant figure out how to tighten and see that the main pin on the end of the hyd arm seems a little sloppy too. mostly just worried about the pivot spline stripping and going full lock under power. sorry for the long post but want to get her ready for this summer and maybe ship up to play in Don's neighborhood (KTN) thx, Jim

Glasply_Rob

Cadet
Re: sloppy steering-gimbal housing

Hi Jim,

Honestly I dont know without looking into some more. I have a 1973 shop manual but not sure it covers that area, I would have to check.
I have a suggestion though, and this is no slam on Iboats.com or an effort to try to steal their users, but if you own a Glasply boat then you need to go to Glasplyowners.com and more important,
www.glasplyowners.com/phpbb2/index.php

Register and post your question in there. All the members (haha...only 38 compared to iboats 89,910) but they all own Glasplys and are only concerned with that.

I use iboats.com as a reference but honestly not many of these members care about our older boats. :'(

Hope to see you over there and join up...you won't be sorry as for help on your boat.

Thx
Rob

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

the steering is pretty sloppy and the outdrive has a lot of freeplay from side to side. local boat mechanic tells me I have the old style small splines and worn to near replacement threshold. does this make sense?
Yes, it does.....
Read below

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=24;gtid=491168;gpid=491169#gpid491169
By all means, sign up for the Glasply forum, but you will get just as good, or better answers here....
You really should post your engine serial #....
Merc. made modifications, that may or may not include your specific transom shield.......
To replace the gimbal ring & steering arm is no easy fix.....
It would most likely involve removing the engine for proper access.....
Frankly, as a DIY, I think it would be easier (& cheaper) to replace the entire transom shield with a used fresh water shield of the same era that does not have any of the above mentioned slop.....
2) are you referring to the connection between the piston extension rod & the link rod?
A little play is normal, but if excessive you may need to get a suitaly sized sleeve to take it out....
They wear from lack o' grease which should be applied a part of preventative maintenence......;)
Hope this helps......:)

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

Glasply_Rob said:
I use iboats.com as a reference but honestly not many of these members care about our older boats. :'(

Know what you mean. They refer to my SkipJack as the Junk Yard Dog, HeHeHe. I am still using Anti-Depressents to get over it.

Bondo

Staff member

Lyndy said:
Glasply_Rob said:

Know what you mean. They refer to my SkipJack as the Junk Yard Dog, HeHeHe. I am still using Anti-Depressents to get over it.

Ayuh,........ I'm Sorry Lyndy,........

It's Not your Boat Lyndy,...... It's the Driveline In it I was referring too.......
'ell,..... The Newest Barge in My Fleet is a 1974.......
I'm Hopeing to move Up to a 4' longer, 1 year Older hull soon..... A 1973 Old Town Atlantis......

And as far as there being More Interest in Rebuilding,+ Refitting Old Boats,........
There's Nowhere Better than iboats,...... Bar None......

From Stem to Stern,...
There's Nowhere on the Internet that you can find Anywhere Near the Knowledge,+ Advise available here a iboats......

If there's a Brand Specific forum out there for your hull,.... That's always good for finding out it's Idiosyncrasies....
I cruise Alot of forums,+ have found None that are as good a gathering of Like-Minded Fiberglass Sniffin', Wrench Turnin' Fools as here at iboats..............d:)

Rob,......

If you find that it's the splined pin that's Bad,.......
The Best way out is to pull the engine,+ drive so you can Replace the whole Transom Assembley,.......

You might be able to mount a newer Alpha outer to your Pre-Alpha inner,.. I'm not Sure, never did it....
But I do Know, that if you swap the Complete Alpha unit, You'll also need the Flywheel Cover to match the Rear Motor Mount Spacing......
Updating it to an Alpha IS the way to Go............

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,........ I'm Sorry Lyndy,........

It's Not your Boat Lyndy,...... It's the Driveline In it I was referring too.......

[colour=red]Hell Bond-o, I knew that! As a matter of fact I have taken a liking to it. It definetly describes my Drive Train and I will just be more choosy where I use the phrase.[/colour]

From Stem to Stern,...
There's Nowhere on the Internet that you can find Anywhere Near the Knowledge,+ Advise available here a iboats......

[colour=red]Can't agree more strongly. I read 99.9% of all the posts on this Forum and take notes.[/colour]

[colour=Green]One thing you mentioned about scouring the Internet for Forums. You haven't by chance found a good SkipJack Forum? I sure can't find one worth my time.[/colour]

Bondo

Staff member

Nope,....... But I'll keep Looking for ya.........