Bellows question

Zim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well my drive is in getting the top half rebuilt right now due to what I think was a leaky U joint bellow. I looked in there, and while looking at it from the back I can see what appears to be a little metal pin like thing sticking through the bellow on the left side. Is this normal or is there probably where I got my leak? I also looked at the shift cable bellow and theres an obvious rip in that, although it looks like it just covers a cable and doesnt really keep water out of U joint area. Am I correct about the shift cable bellow? I plan to replace it anyway, but am just looking for where my water entry problem is. Inside my U joint bellow theres lots of gooky gross stuff so I know its had water in there, not to mention the water that came out when I pulled the drive. Are these an easy replacement? From what I've read it sounds like the exhaust bellow is the hard part, but that one looks fine. Any advice on replacing the U-joint and shift cable bellows?

Zim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bellows question

Oh crap I put this in the wrong place. Can someone move it to Merc I/O repair.

My bad :(

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bellows question

go ahead and post it there. proper service of the outdrive is yearly, to pull the drive, check the bellows, gimbal bearing, alignment. seeing you had water you better check everything. then keep up the service,