1971 60 hp evinrude power

dave3331

Cadet
I have a 1971 60 hp evinrude that has been sitting for 20 years. I replaced the amp, coil, wires, plugs, fuel pump, fuel lines, cleaned the carbs, cleaned the points, cap, & rotor. I haven't adjusted the timing because the manual says you need to have a test wheel and I don't know what that is. Is there another way to check the timing? It runs good in neutral but when you put it in gear it quits. If you start it in gear and throttle half way it will run slowly, if you try to idle it will quit and if you wot it won't run any faster. I was wondering if this could be because it is out of timing? Or if not where I shoul look.
Thanks for any help

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1971 60 hp evinrude power

if you haven't pull the fly wheel, on made adjustment to the throttle linkage it shoud be close. have you checked compression, have you checked spark to both plugs. with the engine idleing, with insulated pliers , a pull a plug wire off, there should be a change in the idle, put the wire back on, it should pick back up, repeat other plug., the idle speed or jets may be set to low, on muffs, i like to set idle in neutral about 800, because when it goes in the water there will be backpressure on the exhaust, and slow the idle to about 700. ideal idle is 650-700 in gear in the water. here's some carb adjustments.

http://www.iboats.com/bbboard/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=28;gtid=818798;gpid=818802

dave3331

Cadet

Its a 3 cylinder and all plugs are firing and the compression is from 142 to 153 between the 3 cylinders.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Usually the symtoms you describe are a fuel supply problem. Did you follow directions for idle mixture & speed setting,carb sync?You may be able to check one cylinder at a time by CAREFULLY squirting fuel mix into on carb at a time.I use a pump oiler.some use a plastic catchup bottle.CAREFUL.
If one carb is messed up then you lose that cylinder.
You need to determine if it is running on all cylinders.
Follow proper procedures to check spark to one cylinder at a time.Or use a spark tester to check spark.
Improper testing procedures can damage the ignition.

dave3331

Cadet

I followed the manual for all settings and carb sync. the only thing i haven't done is the timing because I don't know what a test wheel is and the manual says you need one to do the timing. Could the timing be out and not firing at the correct time?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is a way to set the timing without the test wheel, but I won't go into that because I doubt that is your problem because timing adjustments only affect it at full advance, not at idle and above as you are describing.

You need to make sure it is running on all 3 as advised already.

Don't ignore the spark plugs. And speaking of spark plugs, if you are trying to run the surface gap plugs that came in the motor, forget it and trash them. Use Champion number QL77JC4 gapped at .030. That little trick alone has fixed many a troublesome 60hp.

dave3331

Cadet

the plugs are QL77JC4 and are gapped at .030. Already checked and it is running on all 3 cylinders.
have been through the manual and adjusted everything except timing. After running it last night I checked the plugs while still in the lake and they were wet like they aren't burning all the gas. I have been working on this motor for several weeks. Like I said the only thing I haven't done is the timing. it will run but no power when you open the throttle, it just bogs down.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'm going to ask again have you checked compression. and did you use Joe Reeves, carb adjustments.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well, if you want to check the timing, here is how you do it on the flushing muffs without exploding the motor:

Locate where the throttle cable attaches to the motor and un-attach it.

Remove the pivot bolt from the cam that opens the carburetor throttle arms, and swing the cam out of the way so it cannot touch the arms.

Now check the timing with a light in the conventional way. You can move the throttle / spark advance up against the full advance bumper without over-revving because the carbs aren't opening. Just don't touch those arms with anything. It only takes a couple of seconds to get a reading to verify the timing, then slow it back down.