Boot lube?

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was given a pro model Connelly slalom ski by a neighbor. I got in the water and realized there were no knobs to adjust the binding. Just hex bolts. So I got out my tool box and got the binding small enough for my size 8 foot, but then couldn't fit my foot into the thing - it's like a neoprene boot!

At home I asked him how you get your foot into it and he said he found liquid dish soap to be best. But I can't imagine using that on a pristine lake! Is there something else to use?

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Boot lube?

liquid dish soap is the worst lube you can use because it will dry the bindings and then perish the bindings ...... the best thing to use is "spray and cook" not sure if you guys have this on that side of the world ...... but it is binding friendly and works perfectly ......

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

deejaycee_2000 said:
liquid dish soap is the worst lube you can use because it will dry the bindings and then perish the bindings ...... the best thing to use is "spray and cook" not sure if you guys have this on that side of the world ...... but it is binding friendly and works perfectly ......
What a great idea. After eons of struggling I cant wait to try it now !! I beleive its called "Pam" over here. It is now on this weeks grocery list.

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]Interesting, I've been using dish soap for YEARS. Never had a problem. Maybe some brands are worse than others..........................

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Spray and Cook!!! You cannot be serious…….. Its olive oil based cooking oil, the last thing you need in a ski binding is a lubricant that WON’T break down in water. All binding lubricant products are water soluble and designed to lubricate the binding so you can get your foot (feet) into it; from there you want it to dissipate quickly so the rubber boot grips your feet firm. Cooking oil is going to remain slippery or worse actually get slimy while you’re skiing. Kenmyfarm and anybody else who thinks that cooking oil is an option than PLEASE do some research on any water ski forum site or ask the pro’s. Having your foot come out of the binding at twice boat speed could very well get you killed!!!! BTW, I use a bio-degradable hair conditioner, have done for more than 20 years.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

paulie0735 said:
Spray and Cook!!! You cannot be serious…….. Its olive oil based cooking oil, the last thing you need in a ski binding is a lubricant that WON’T break down in water. All binding lubricant products are water soluble and designed to lubricate the binding so you can get your foot (feet) into it; from there you want it to dissipate quickly so the rubber boot grips your feet firm. Cooking oil is going to remain slippery or worse actually get slimy while you’re skiing. Kenmyfarm and anybody else who thinks that cooking oil is an option than PLEASE do some research on any water ski forum site or ask the pro’s. Having your foot come out of the binding at twice boat speed could very well get you killed!!!! BTW, I use a bio-degradable hair conditioner, have done for more than 20 years.
I guess we will just use it for cooking then !!! if it can cause those issues. I will either keep struggling or find a biodegradeable hair conditioner. Any suggestions on a brand ??

deejaycee_2000

Captain

paulie0735 said:

Not the olive oil based one ...... I know what you are saying here but is recomended by most ski and wakeboard shops round here, as the "spray and cook" we get here is very low oil and does not leave your binding slimey or stay in the binding, as soon as you foot goes into the water it is gone ............. give it a try, what do you have to lose, if it doesn't work for you then go back to whatever you use, but don't critisize something you haven't tried yourself, it works for me for the last 15 years, before that I used liquid soap and those bindings had to be replaced after like 3 years of use .........

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Well I guess I will not cook the eggs just yet !!!!

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

deejaycee_2000 said:
Not the olive oil based one ...... I know what you are saying here but is recomended by most ski and wakeboard shops round here, as the "spray and cook" we get here is very low oil and does not leave your binding slimey or stay in the binding, as soon as you foot goes into the water it is gone ............. give it a try, what do you have to lose, if it doesn't work for you then go back to whatever you use, but don't critisize something you haven't tried yourself, it works for me for the last 15 years, before that I used liquid soap and those bindings had to be replaced after like 3 years of use .........

Is this the sh1t that you’re recommending? http://www.angliaoils.com/life/spray.html If it is than I stand by my criticism. If it’s not than please post a link to the non olive oil based product that you are recommending. Regardless, to settle this I suggest that who ever is still in doubt here to buy the right stuff from your local ski shop!

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use baby oil gel with my wake board boots.

Straight oil runs everywhere, the gel stays where you put it.

I like having a bit of a slimy foot once I'm in because it gives me some wiggle room to keep my feet from stiffening up, and I only come out of them on the worst of wrecks.

Another thing I like about it is that one application will usually get me through the day b/c some of it stays in the boot.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

No that is definately not the same as ours Paulie0735 ....... our spray and cook is made from soya been extract ..... see here ...... http://health.iafrica.com/dietonline/dietqa/foodtypes/marmite.htm .... all I could find, unfortunately no product shot ....... but it doesn't matter, everyone have their own opinions and methods of doing things, so whatever works for anyone, is fine with me ..... I was simply sharing what I do and it works for me .... :)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Well I guess I keep struggling !!!! but I will be cooking the eggs !!!! LOL

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well it sounds like "Spray & Cook" is great for ski lube but terrible for cooking! 8)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

So what do you use if you need to cook while ski-ing.

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dish soap works well and been using since 1985 on the same HO slalom, no problems at all with the binding wearing out or drying up.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow! I had no idea the amount of discussion my question would create!

Maybe I'll try PAM. I feel guilty making dish suds in the lake...

Dave