1969 chrysler 40 hp water on plugs

darrenjackson

Recruit
Hi Group.. I've just resurrected my chrysler engine with a bottom end rebuild, impellor etc and a good clean up.. But after a few minutes on the water, the top plug is encrusted in white "stuff" and the bottom plug is wet with sea water.. I replaced the head gasket so did i do something wrong??? Please help!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1969 chrysler 40 hp water on plugs

Did you scrape the surfaces good and clean, did you torque the head bolts?

darrenjackson

Recruit

I cleaned them to the best of my ability and torqued the head bolts to about 20 ft/lbs. Was that correct?

darrenjackson

Recruit

Quick Update.... Took the head off again and inspected the surfaces... The new gasket has eroded in a cuple of places and there is quite a bit of pitting on the sealing edges of the head... can these be built up and machined down successfully?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Torque should be 270 inch pounds.Tighten in a fixed pattern.Usually start in the center and work out in a spiral.About 3 passes clean dry bolts.You should check the head for warping with a straight edge.You can dress it on a piece of glass with sand paper.If you get it together carefully and still have a problem there may be a crack in the head or block.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Although Chrysler manual state not to remove more than .010, The same block was used for the 35, 45, 55. I don't remember them making a 40 in 1969. anyway, the 55 has 1/16 more stroke so you can dress the head sealing surfaces by at least .030 to clean up the pitting. I have removed the head gasket and re-installed the head to check clearance. The head gasket is at least .060 thick so if you do the same and come up with clearance, then you know you can machine off .060. Be sure you check with the spark plugs in.The only result will be slightly higher compression. Will not harm the engine. On old flat head Fords, this was known as milling the heads.