New boat, old boater - question about canvas

hoboat

Cadet
Hi I bought an '07 Glastron GT185 and I want to know if anyone has experience with a canvas top? The one I am looking at covers from windshield to stern, and has the plastic sunroof about mid-ship. Dealer tells me I can use this top at all boat speeds. I am concerned about head room and if he is telling me the real story before I spend another grand on this package. Thanks, Andy

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: New boat, old boater - question about canvas

The only thing I can ask is: Why the sunroof? The purpose of the top is to keep the sun off you--at least that's what I thought. I wouldn't consider a sunroof in my bikini top.
BTW-- pretty boat. I was always partial to Glastrons.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i agree with Frank, and you can get a bimini for a heck of a lot less. properly installed the speed is not a major factor. here's a pic of both of mine and they run 45mph and i have no problems.

hoboat

Cadet

Thanks much for the replies. You have given me something to think about.

hoboat

Cadet

Another question - any suggestion on height of the bimini? Thans

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Frank said:
I wouldn't consider a sunroof in my bikini top.

If you were a girl we'd have to talk this through a little more...

$1k is a rip.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

AHHH! I don't have a Bikini top. My wife does. I wouldnt mind if she had a sunroof or two in hers--but that's another story.

Anyway, you want to stand under the BIMINI (whew, I got it right this time) with a little head room. So: Measure the height from your floor to the gunwales and then see what offered heights of biminis when added to that height give you the standing headroom. For example: from floor to gunwale is 24 inches and you want 7 feet headroom. try to buy a 5 foot high bimini.