Which Evenirude/Johnson oil to use in 90 hp VRO?

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class
XD 30-50-100...
I will be breaking this engine in after a rebuild and was wondering which one to use. i know that I should run the oil in the tank and a premix of 50:1 until I confirm the VRO is working. Should that be with the sythetic because its a better oil (is it?) or is one of the other oils better to use.
I plan on trolling a fair bit in addition to pulling skiers and a large inflatable as well...does that preclude the XD30...I've never had a choice before always having bought TCW-3 oil from Costco but my dealer says I should use XD30 instead cause its formulated for the motor...
I'm inclined to believe him just wondering which to use (30-50-100???)

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Which Evenirude/Johnson oil to use in 90 hp VRO?

I was told by a Evinrude/Johnson mechanic that XD 100 can not be used in my 2004 50HP with VRO(OMS). It was made for the new E-Tecs. My manual recommends XD 30. I was using a cheaper brand oil when a mechanic advised me against it.(I used this brand for years in another motor, never had a problem) So I switched to XD 50.. Seems to work fine. I also troll allot. When trolling with the wind behind me the fumes can be bothersome at times. I am not sure if its the oil or possibly a rich carb mixture. There is almost zero smoke. That is why I suspect it might be a rich mixture. I rebuilt them myself and think I got the setting correct but am not 100% sure.

The XD 50 is a synthetic blend. This year I am going to try a full synthetic oil too see if it helps any.

As far as break in goes I think the XD 30 or XD50 would work fine.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Not knowing the model # / year it's hard to advise.But I'm not sure about break in with a synthetic.On the other hand the new E-Teks fog themselves.Go figure.

On an older motor I'd be reading the labels real close,but try to keep to a name brand,TCW-3.AND stick to the break in usage.Even if you use the best oil in the world (when we find it) ,you still have RPM and load issues to consider during break in .

DHP

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its a 1992 Johnson 90 hp. model#JJ90TLEND ser#G03068738, I will be getting a tach. As far as RPM is concerned during break-in...is there an approved method to follow...I was thinking going easy on it for a tank ful or two before going full boogey.

walleyehed

Admiral

Only easy for the first couple of hours... after that, you can go to full throttle for a few seconds then back to, say 3800-4000. stay away from 3500-3800 as this is where timing is at max advance and engine is running the leanest...just vary RPM every 5 mins or so...change about 400-500RPM.
As for the oil..the XD series all have a certain amount of synthetic in them..XD-30 is about 10% and also the oil I would recommend if you're going to use JohnRude oil for break-in. I'd run that oil for the first 50hrs, then run the XD-50 if ya want. The XD-30 would be fine to continue with..you don't need the XD-50, but it does have some other cleaning agents the 30 doesn't have. The 50 was developed for the original Ficht DFI engines (Ficht Ram Oil) which later was re-named XD-50.