Cable replacement procedures

iwombat

Captain
Stringing in new throttle and shift cables on my '77 crossflow to a Johnson command center. (Okay the front half is Johnson, the back half has an evinrude sticker on it :) ). Any particular installation procedures that will save me a self-induced dope-slap later?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cable replacement procedures

open carefully, watch for little pieces, and decayed insulation disconnect battery first. go to brp and see if you can find a diagram. while there lube with lithium.

i opened a 71 merc control, every wire was bare, insulation had fallen off. found a NOS control with harness on ebay. lucky!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Proper cable adjustment is necessary when the stringing is done. Don't just attach them as the adjustment will be wrong. With shifter in neutral on the control box and the engine, bring the attachment on the cable up to attachment point on the shift lever. If the cable and shifter attachments do not line up exactly, adjust the trunion until they do. Attach the shift cable. The process is the same for the throttle cable. Make sure the throttle linkage on the engine is held against the idle stop when making the adjustment.

iwombat

Captain

Just what I was looking for - thanks.

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, thanks! I'll be rigging my first Johnson tomorrow and this is exactly what I was looking for. Factory service manual doesn't cover rigging at all.

-E