Launching alone?

Incaboater

Seaman Apprentice
So lets see if I have this right.
1.) prepare boat away from ramp, obviously. Make sure plug is in
2.) Make sure plug is in and back down the ramp to proper position.
3.) Release winch strap and lower boat into water with plug in.
4.) ??? Start boat and let warm up and pull off to area to tie up boat, or use bow line to guide boat to that area, which is better?? I have seen people do both.
5.) Drive truck back up ramp and have a fun day.

I have rollers on my trailer. How far do you guys typically submerge your trailer before you put the vehicle in park and go to the boat.

Also with rollers is it easier to put the boat back onto the trailer if the trailer isn't as submerged? Also do you typically just drive the boat up close to the trailer then hop out and connect the winch strap and winch it the rest of the way up?

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Launching alone?

If I were launching alone which I have not done yet. I would tie boat up out of the way of the slip so others can pull in as soon as I pull out to park truck.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i launch alone all the time. she's not coorinated to help. i ready the boat at home. drive to ramp. release stean strap, and ready to launch. i back down the ramp so the boat is not floating, then stop, release winch hook, i have a 30 foot bow line with a snap on it. i snap the line on the winch stand. back the boat in so it starts to float, and tap the breaks so boat back off trailer, then pull up some, if boat is not completely off. i back up a little more and tap the brakes, and off it goes. i pull up, enough to get the bow line without getting wet. lead the boat to the dock, then park the car and trailer. i try to launch at down times at the ramp, or let someone who has help go first. with the roller trailer you have to be specially careful not to unhook too soon, and to allways hook before pulling out. or you have a boat 1/2 in the water. good luck.

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I launched my boat for the first time by myself about a month ago. I admit it - I was nervous for 2 reasons. One, the boat hadn't ran in over 2 months and; Two, I was launching by myself for the first time!

First and foremost, try not to launch by yourself (for the first time) during a busy time at the ramp. I went on a cold day during the week. This way I had plenty of time and no angry boaters waiting on me.

I made sure I had EVERYTHING on the boat, ready to roll before I got near the ramp. The tow straps were all off and the only thing left was the bow line. I even primed the fuel before I backed it up!

Each boat will be different as to how far you need to lower your trailer into the water. I thought I had mine down far enough, but a nice guy launching next to me had to help out by backing my car truck an extra 2 feet for me.

I didn't fool with a bow line or anything - I just cranked it up and moved it to the dock, tied it off (front and back) then went back to my truck. First, I paid close attention to how close the tire was to the waterline. This will be helpful when you throw the trailer back in for retrieval. Keep in mind, though, I went on a slow day. Then, I parked the truck and trailer and went down to the dock, got in my boat and joy rode for awhile.

The purpose of my trip was just that - to practice it. Mission accomplished. I also practiced docking the boat a few times and manuvering it onto the trailer.

I still won't go put it in by myself on a busy day until I do it a few more times.

I guess my best advice to you would be to go on what you think will be a slow day and try it. Maybe more than once if you have the time. Like I said, I plan on doing it by myself on a "practice" day in the middle of the week before attempting it on a busy Saturday anytime soon. My boat is just so big (25') that I feel like I need 2 people to do it anyway - until I get more practice.

Hope some of that helps!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Everybody has a different retrieval style and reason for it. You need to experiment. I've seen guys who completely submerge the trailer and can't get the boat on straight. I've also seen guys who do it and get it right the first time.
I found out that for my boat, if I back down until the rearmost center roller is just above water, my boat self centers and is always on the trailer correctly. also. my truck is further up the ramp on the dry section. But, I have an electric winch so cranking is not an issue.

tashasdaddy

sc shane you are correct for your boat, it's to big and ackward to use a bow line to get it to the dock. you are right to back it off the trailer, keep trimmed up so you don't buy a prop.

frayed knot

Seaman Apprentice

I launch all the time by myself, and here is what works for me:

I ready the boat out of the way of the ramp, including hooking up bow line (plug in when I release the stern straps). Disconnect safety chain, leave winch in place. Disconnect lights (personal prefrence for some). Back her down the ramp. I keep an eye on the boat, when she just floats I stop. Put truck in park, set e-brake, turn it off. Grab bow line, release winch and give her a gentle shove to get her the rest of the way off of the trailer. With bow line in hand I get up on the dock and walk her as far back as I can and tie her off. I jump in real quick and turn on the blower (I/O boat). Get back in the truck and park it. Go back to boat and start her up, go have fun.

Now for retrieval, I tie off the boat, preferably out of the way. Get the truck backed down. Now I have a dual axle trailer with bunks, I back her all the way down until the bunks are just submerged. Get back in the boat, shove off and idle her up onto the bunks, when she settles out a little, i nudge her forward until I get up on the keel roller, settle her out again, then power up to the bow stop. Shut her down, hook up the winch line, cinch it up a little, and get in the truck. I pull forward slowly and let the boat center itself on the bunks, then pull all the way out. Crank up the winch good and tight, hook up the safety chain, plug in the lights, run around to the back, pull the plug, and hook up the straps. If I have time I check my lights to make sure they work, otherwise I pull way out of the way and do it then.

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the feedback tashasdaddy. One thing I did fail to add is that I always winch up my boat. The last few inches are little effort (even for my big boat) and I don't want to risk either eroding the ramp or damaging something on my boat or someone elses from the wake. Get it up there the best you can, and winch the last few inches. Like I said before; pay close attention to where your vehicle is when you launch it successfully, so you'll know where to have it to retrieve!

Incaboater

Seaman Apprentice

Great guys, thanks for all the advice. One silly question. Lets say that the water is low so the dock is laying on the ground. So when after I have released the winch strap and attached the bowline do I just give her a shove out into the lake so that she doesn't scrape against the shore as I lead her to a nice place to beach her while I go park the truck?

Also I have rollers that move on hinges with my boat. So its typically better to have my trailer more shallow with the hinged rollers right? I guess those rollers on hinges self center and if the bottom ones are completely submerged then they can't self center. When you ride the boat on the sorta reach up can grab the boat, you guys know what I'm talking about?

Like I said I have rollers so I can't ride the boat up the ramp, she will roll right back out to the water. Would it be a good idea to tie a bow line on and pull her steadily on the trailer and then attach the winch?

I have taken her out before but I always went with someone who sits in the boat thus making everything much easier.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I launch by myself everytime. Always have, regardless of what boat I had. My wife just watches.

Without repeating what has already been said... every boat is different, every trailer is different, and every ramp is different. No one can tell you "The Way" to launch your boat.

The only way to figure it out is to do it. Take an afternoon off and go practice. It'll only take you a time or two to figure it out.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

What RF said, practice. It becomes second nature once you have it dialed in.

tashasdaddy

ok, i cheat, i have guideon with about 1/2 clearance on each side, and the 2 rear rollers are 12" self centering rollers. so the bow and keel hit the rollers and center, as the boat comes up the guide on keep whats floating in place. i drive on mostly. in rare situation i can't drive on, i unroll the winch line to the 2nd roller, back far enough in that the roller can just be seen. then use the bow line to get the to that point, then winch up..

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

Incaboater said:
4.) ??? Start boat and let warm up and pull off to area to tie up boat, or use bow line to guide boat to that area, which is better?? I have seen people do both.
I don't think I'd start the boat (theft, more time blocking the ramp, etc).
When I launch alone, I just tie the boat off further down (or on the side of) the dock.
I have rollers on my trailer. How far do you guys typically submerge your trailer before you put the vehicle in park and go to the boat.
It's been said before, but only you know, and it also varies by the angle of the launch. Where I boat most frequently, I back down until the water just touches the axle. Pretty much the same for retrieval. I have a single-axle roller trailer, hauling an 18' aluminum Starcraft

Practice, practice, practice.

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Incaboater said:
1.) prepare boat away from ramp, obviously. Make sure plug is in
2.) Make sure plug is in and back down the ramp to proper position.
3.) Release winch strap and lower boat into water with plug in.
5.) Drive truck back up ramp and have a fun day.

Make sure your plug is in.....

Frugal Floater

Petty Officer 1st Class

It sounds like you will be using a non-regulation ramp with a gradual slope...Buying roller trailer was a good move as you don't have to back into the water as far as bunker board trailers. Here is how I did it when launching in similar situation:

1. Back boat down with fender guards on until rear tires hit the water
2. With rope tied to boat bow and stern cleats with slack, release strap and crank boat down until rear floats.
3. Hop on trailer frame just past crank and give boat a little shove so bow clears rear roller
4. Hop on dock and guide boat with your rope to place you are going to tie up
5. Pull up and tie strap 1/4 way down center of trailer so you can easily clip it on bow when pulling it out of the water.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Sounds like you are overthinking it. You need to go when the ramp is not busy and practice it. Come up with a system that works for you and you can remember. Maybe a written checklist the first few times? The only suggestions I'd make from personal experience are 1. When going in figure out where the boat just floats enough for you to have to push it off the trailer without having to push so hard you require corrective surgery. Look at where the water is on some part of the trailer you can see from the drivers seat of the tow vehicle. If you can line that up again when you retrieve your boat you should be able to drive most of the way back up on the trailer. 2. Make sure you jack your outdrive all the way up before you pull up the ramp. It's easy to forget, but the grinding noise WILL remind you.

studlymandingo

Commander

When I am putting the boat back on the trailer, I tie the bow-line to the center cleat on the bow, and the stern line to the cleat closest to the dock. If you tug on the stern line, it will nose the bow slightly away from you. You can use tension on the bow line to "steer" the boat as you are guiding it onto the trailer. Once I'm up far enough and centered, I hook up the winch strap and pull her on in. It takes me about the same amount of time to launch and retrieve by myself as it does with someone else's help. I would practice guiding the boat with the lines if you have the place to do so. Once you have it down, it will be second nature; not so much as a thought.

grimpy

Seaman

am I the only one that backs the boat in... jump on the trailer tongue, then spare, and onto the boat... start it up and back off the trailer and dock it???

SuperNova

Lieutenant

That's exactly what I do too, grimpy. I drive it back onto the trailer when I'm done,too. Leave it in forward just enough to hold it against the bow stop and hook it up then shut everything down and jack up the outdrives.