Finally in my yard...all the way from the US of A

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Got the boat last week..
Finally 95% of dramas are over.
Last is getting the trailer to meet Australian Standards, then a Saftey Certiifcate for it, then registered for road use.
I can see a couple of small problems looming with US trailers already, but "we will overcome".

Fortunatey my gateway is a very wide 'double' as I have large trucks in and out all the time, plus have 6" thick concrete.

DSCF0113.jpg

DSCF0114.jpg

I have always kept an area 'free' for my toys, maybe 25m x 60m, so that is where it went.

DSCF0115.jpg

Couldn't believe how this truck 'worked'. Very interesting to watch.
Driver had the boss of the container yard volunteer to load it for him with a container fork lift. Took all of 2 minutes.
Gave this guy a case of beer when we went out to put the axels on etc, and the assistance then and since has probably saved me a big K.

(See the old F100 in the back....it turned up from painters a week back, and am I'm deep in skippy droppings with the wife at the moment......she wanting a new patio....which she has had to wait for....so guess you would call it a bit of a pay-back....but that don't worry me none.....)

DSCF0116.jpg

The best bucks I spent, were those on the 'Surveyor'. He got it right all the way thru.
I am perfectly happy with the dollars I spend and what I got.
The extras are invaluable.
jib, genoa and all the sailors extras.
Radar, Chart Plotter, Depth Sounder, new VHS and Radio/CD, new Bimini (jeez, better check the colour) and I can't even remember the rest.
May sell off the marine BBQ.
Put the staff on to it, (3) and it dosn't look pretty good, it is brilliant.
The glass on the inside is perfect, and the 'bungs' throughout are obviously for ecectrical fittings.
Has 3 big batteries, solar charger, and another charger somewhere.
John has worked everything out. Says all the gear is 'good'. Fired the engine up 1st crank. Checked that over too and it good.

That Roger MacGregor makes a Blxxdy good boat for the bucks he charges.

Thanks for taking the time to read, sorry about the length of this.
Cheers
Phillip

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Finally in my yard...all the way from the US of A

[colour=blue]Looks great Phil!

What are the dramas with the trailer - details please.

rwise

Captain

I am curious about the trailer also, more info please! Me thinks the wife will soon forget about that patio d:)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

No fenders?

Besides the solar charger, you might invest in a wind generator. It attaches to a spreader. You'd probably never need to plug in.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Awesome Phillip. What's that big stick thing with all of those strings on it for?

BTW, I am posting down here without having to use a proxy this trip . . .
30.gif

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

They always look bigger once you get them home...boats and women.

What are those huge hoses for on the left side of the semi? Air intake?

Hey Phil, what's that little blue and white number peeking out from behind the stern in the last photo hmmmm?8)

spots

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Once in a Blue Moon Phil..........................................I'm thinking thats no where enough Congrats and best of luck with her.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

You bought your wife a floating patio? BRILLIANT! d:)d:)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Bass said:
You bought your wife a floating patio? BRILLIANT! d:)d:)

Oh heck! You beat me too it BMB. Was thinking the same while reading down the posts.

Phillip, I take it that you can't put it on the road before the trailer is 'safety certified? Seems it would have been a cheaper way to get it to your house?

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Vehicle registration rules are pretty strict.....no imported vehicle allowed on any road until they meet Australian standards. So yes, the trucking was expensive but there were no options.
The business that inspects and issues required documentation here is not very positive about American trailers....reckons he has seen them all......and I tell him 'they have made 37,000 of these Macs on trailers'.....and he dosn't hear me......and he is the only bloke in the district that I can sneak the trailer down too early in the morning.......so that is the saga.
I'm not worried about it.
I have down loaded the specifications from the relevant Dept.
Biggest concern was....trailer can not exceed 2.5m in width, and with the guards off, I am at 2.480m, so have 10mm spare each side. Will try the guards shortly, but can adjust them in easily if needed. The guards must cover complete width of wheels, so we will squeak in there. So there is no problem there now, just a mechanical 'do-it' situation.
Seems I have a bit to do re lighting as specs talk about front and side lamps. John says that is easy, so no problem there either.
Coupling...well the American is quite different to look at and not sure what willl happen there.
John reckons, take the boat off the trailer, then give it a full inspection and repair anything needed. Then measure and attach guards.
Ring an Inspector at Tpt Dept and get a decision on Coupling.
The trailer is black steel, and previous owner treated with POR15.
John's brother, who runs a shift at a Galvanising outfit, may take it and Galvanise it for me.
He has bought me around a couple of 10ton jacks, old tyres etc and reckons we should have it off in quick time.
Also reckons once we have it off, it will be so much easier to get to relevant places etc.
So that's the situation....no where near as 'hard' as i originally thought.

BassManBruce: Anita enjoyed your comment, and replied, "tell him I am spending dollar for dollar on the patio, and it is floating no-where, so just keep spend Phillip"
Cheers
Phillip

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Nice boat and a cunning wife as well!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wow looks great!

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]Phil, I am a certified inspector in Victoria, Qld laws are different but my license is Australia wide. In Vic, there are many legal ways to circumvent perceived safety issues.

Lights and hitch are not a problem - easily fixed/modified. The guards are a different story. Is the 10mm clearance from bearing cap to bearing cap (total of 20mm clearance). If so, is a slightly shorter axle an option, is there much clearance between the the brake backing plate and the main trailer truss?

Any chance of a pic of the current hitch? Your options are 50mm ball or treg. What type of brakes are on it (hydraulic surge I imagine)?

Link

Rear Admiral

Too much hassel
I'll take it off your hands :)
Hope hope hope :)
Not going to happen is it?
Dern!
Hey I tried! :)

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Aldo, you are music to my ears.
Took the boat off the trailer today. Will discuss that in next post.
I am getting all my info from Dept of Tpt Regions Svs web site, and downloaded the Tech requirements for trailers.
After reading your post, took off in the dark and took 2 photos.

Took a broom with a straight handle with me to check:

the bearing caps do not protrude outside the tyres. The measurement I took before was from outside of 1 tyre to outside of opposing tyre. Whew!!!! Had me thinking for a moment.
DSCF0150.jpg

This is the hitch. John has had a good look at it (never seen one like that before) and only problem is the saftey pin.
Says the little 'nob' on end of it to stop it easily pulling back out, is worn, and he reckons he could drill a hole in it and put a 'pin-and-spring-ring" thru it to stop that, and make it secure.

There is also a cable (coated in black plastic, coiled on left side of photo) with a hook on the end which John thinks hooks on to draw bar, as the other end goes inside the 'box' housing the hydrolics, so if the trailer breaks away, this wire is pulled tight before it breaks and activates the hydrolics to a locked on position. He is pretty sure that is the way it works. Says he will think it over.
He says it reads on the hitch: 2". It actually fits my ball well.
DSCF0151.jpg

Hope this is relevant info.
Any other questions/suggestion: I am all ears Aldo.
Don't have your phone No Aldo. could you e-mail it thru sometime please.
Thanks for everything.
Cheers
Phillip

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Today we had a serious look at the condition of the trailer.
John felt there was a bit of wire brushing needed, bit of painting and few other minor things, so we decided easiet way was to remove boat from trailer.
After and hour of jacking this and jacking that, I felt for the time it was taking, and the chance of someone getting something crushed, I would pay the $198 and get a crane in.
Told driver we expected it to be close to 2 tonnes.
When he had it up in the air, he said his computer said it was 1.3tonnes.]
We used 'L' shaped concrete blocks, 2 high, on their sides, 'L' facing out each end to stop rock, with a 8"x2" hardwood plank crossmember, and 2 tyres each end on top.
I think we have it pretty secure.
Stayed sides x2 on both sides.
Everything went well.
I think I will save my money, just in the time we save being able to work on it 'empty', and not having John crawling under it with a grinder and paint etc,plus I will be able to drive it to the Trailer Shop etc very easily.

DSCF0131.jpg

DSCF0131.jpg

DSCF0138.jpg

DSCF0145.jpg

DSCF0146.jpg

Any suggestions: please pass them on.
Got the 'good' bottom coat delivered today too.

Forget it Link.
Plainsman: i just let her think she is cunning.
(Honestly, I don't really care. After my years in the Mob, so long as my bed is dry, I get one hot meal a day, and a few 'extras', I don't care what she does for the house. It alway turns out nice, she's happy, I'm happy. Then again guess that sums up a lot of us eh?)
Cheers
Phillip