CD Rip Topic Revisited

i386

Captain
We discussed this before but it's been a while. I've been using Exact Audio Copy + Lame mp3 encoder for years.

Recently I've been forced to use WMP to sync mp3 files onto my phone (Verizon Morokrzr KM1). I have been avoiding WMP for ripping for fear of DRM making it impossible to play my own music years down the road. After using the program, I find it actually kind of nice.

My question is this. If I rip CDs with WMP and use mp3 format, can I be sure that I'll encounter no restrictions with those files in the future?

BTW, what do you audiophiles think of WMP quality. I rip at 320 always. Thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: CD Rip Topic Revisited

Huh??

i386

Captain

JB said:

Translation: Can I use Microsoft Windows Media Player to make mp3 files (music) from my CDs without fear of their copy protection biting me in the you know where some time down the road?

Second question was regarding the quality of mp3 files produced by Windows Media Player.

8)

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

I would think that fear would always be there with MS :%
I use either Sonic or Roxio, no problems yet.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I perused my Audio site and saw no remarks about copy protection. Remarks were complimentary. EKOS Free is also gaining a following. One guru thought EAC was a bit overrated.

tommays

Admiral

If you look into the deeeeeeeeep options of WMP there is a check box about NOT DRM-ING WMA AND WMV :) sneeky BUT it is there you also need to tell it NOT to protect you own stuff

You cant DRM MP3

My windows mobil 5 pda Has mobil media player10 and i use media player to sync MP3,WMV ansd WMA without any problems

I have ripped WMA at 64/128/256/and 320 i will be a monkeys uncle if there is much difference at anything above 128 k on car and other portable players

I have a 12 disk MP3 changer in my truck with about 2000 songs so it hard to even play thenm through one time :)

If you get into video WMV windows media encoder is the way to go i have a big libary for my Pocket PC

And haveing fooled around with Divx and Virtual Dub it was a a lot more simple and just as good

How else can you get a full movie on a 128meg card :)

Tommays

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you use iTunes then it give you the freedom to pick which format you choose. AAC, mp3, whatever, no DRM on music that you buy at the store, but there is on music purchaced form the itunes store.