Dyeing Vinyl??

D

DJ

Has anyone ever had a good success dyeing vinyl?<br /><br />My son and I have found a set of very nice seats for his project car, yet the backs of the seats are the wrong color. The seating areas are fine-they are the right color cloth.<br /><br />I have pretty much figured that going to a darker color is easier than going lighter. That thinking will work for us, am I thinking correctly?<br /><br />Any tips on what to use and how would be appreciated.<br /><br />Also, what about changing the color of harder plastic trim pieces? Any thoughts on that?<br /><br />Thanks.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Dyeing Vinyl??

I died the seats in my truck black quite a few years ago and the still look good.. I did both the vinyl backs and died the cloth parts to a darker gray, almost charcoal like..... For the life of me i can't remember what brand die i used... Die may have been SEM brand, but not sure... <br /><br />I did get hold of some SEM paint for the hard plastic parts and it was'nt worth a darn... Had to re-do the job after a year... It was real fun trying to remove that old SEM paint to re-paint, i'll tell ya that for free... :D <br /><br />You are correct in wanting to go to a darker color... Dark to light don't work...<br /><br />Last time, for the hard plactic pieces I used (hang on, I'll go get the can) Plasti-kote Bumper Color (black)... Flexable and does'nt crack... I used it on the door pannls, dash, and everything else that is a hard plastic about 18 months ago.. Still holds up real good.. Looks like factory original.. The color is'nt real glossy, nor is it dull... <br /><br />Sounds like You and Junior have a good project going on there... Good luck... :D

Ralph 123

Captain

I think Tempo makes a paint for vinyl. I've read about it here on other posts and it sounds like it works.<br /><br />You can also get covers :D

D

DJ

THanks Ralph. The covers are "plan B".<br /><br />I'll check out Tempo.

JJ57103

Seaman

Snapper,<br />You sound like a sales rep for SEM Automotive Coatings. :D SEM does make a good vinyl dye, and as for the hard plastic paint of theirs: Someone hit & run my tow vehicle 5 years ago in the door. I only carry liability on it, so I bought a used door from the salvage yard. The interior panel of mine was broken from the wreck, and the new interior was maroon - mine was buckskin. (dark to light - more dificult) I bought a couple cans of SEM paint, and cleaned the panel real good with laquer thinner. Five years later and it still looks good as new. Automotive paint stores, even a NAPA would carry the SEM line. I got mine at a place called Sturdevants - don't know if they're a nation wide chain, though.

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey Djohns dont know where you live but if your anywhere in Texas try J&J supply. Theyve got the dye in aersol cans or can custom match any color to spray thru a regular paint gun.Im peicing together my 68 AMX and dyeing black panels to the original red. Works great. Ask your supplier about prepping the parts.