Installing Kitchen Cabinets - Anyone with experience?

rogerwa

Commander
I just bought new cabinets for my cabin and I will be installing them myself. I have read a number of How-tos on the right way to do this.

The one question I have is what to do with the backs of the cabinets. These have face frames, yet the back of the cabinet does not have the same lip as the front. It says to butt the face frames together with a clamp and screw them together. it does not say if I am supposed to attach the rear of the cabinet together or to just leave it loose.

If I do have to attach the rear, then I will need some filler. What is the right way to do this? Also, should I attach the cabinets together before mounting??

Any help would be great.

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: Installing Kitchen Cabinets - Anyone with experience?

If these are going up on the wall and the back isnt exposed, they are joind at the cabinet face and then mounted to the wall through the back of the cabinet. No need to join them in the back whatsoever.

They make clamps specifically for cabinet installation, and they help out alot......gauranteed to be flush.

We found it easiest to attach two cabinets together at the face and THEN put them on the wall, level them out, and screw them into the wall studs through the cabinet back. We had the opportunity to put scabs in the walls since we redid the drywall......no studs to find.8)

hpim0158ju4.jpg

hpim0155fz1.jpg

tommays

Admiral
Re: Installing Kitchen Cabinets - Anyone with experience?

Well i am watching a pro put mine in ( i am regreting it at this point )

But problem #1 is how level is your floor ?

They start buy drawing a line for the base cabinents on the wall and then they checked it along its lenth to be sure there were no HIGH spots to screw things 1/2 way down the cabinet run

On the wall cabs they were looking for them to be 18" above the finished counter height (works out good for tile backsplash ) then they drew more level lines and screwed boards to the wall so that the cab would be level while they found studs to screw then up with

Screw lenth is A BIG DEAL the electric work should be 1-1/2 from the face of the stud plus the 1/2 sheetrock

So with 3/4 thick backs a 2-3/4 screw is the MAX if you dont want to find and wires :( IF the electric was done right

Tommays