Mercruiser 470 Manual / Outdrive Manual and QUESTIONS

devisetek

Cadet
I have a 1989 Glassmaster S187 with the 165hp version of the Merc 470 with an Alpha 1 outdrive.

The boat started to overheat on me, so I suspect that it is the fresh water impeller.

Someone here linked me to an online version of the FSM for the engine and for the Alpha I before, and I was hoping to get those links again.

I am going to try to do the impeller replacement myself - is that going to be an incredibly difficult task? I am fairly handy and definitely mechanical on cars, I just have limited experience with boats.

The other question I have is that it was smoking some black smoke from the engine compartment. Does that mean that most likely one of the exhaust pipes is cracked as well?

How hard are those to replace?

I want to get this thing running, use it some in early April, then sell it in mid april. I'm in law school now so money is tight, but I have to get it running correctly to sell it.

Also, I think the voltage regulator may have gone as well. Is there a way to do the alternator conversion without spending $400?

I know those are a lot of questions, but I am trying to get this thing fixed up over the weekend... Spent all last weekend working on my dad's bass tracker (deck and carpet repairs) and am ready to get my boat rolling now too.

Also, part # links or ordering links would be appreciated if anyone has some off hand.

-----
P.S. - I am going to do a compression test on the boat as soon as I get an impeller in there to make sure I am not further wasting my time, but we cut the boat off and 'swim-towed' it in as soon as it got hot, so I hope that won't be an issue.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

JoChek219

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercruiser 470 Manual / Outdrive Manual and QUESTIONS

there used to be a website specific just for them 470's...breezeworks.com but I'm not sure if its still around. A guy in FL used to operate it... I bought a alt . conversion kit from him for $200 or so... them 470's are prone to vapor locking too. How warm was it when you were cruising

devisetek

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser 470 Manual / Outdrive Manual and QUESTIONS

It was about 70 out, it was fairly warm. I'm sort of familar with vapor lock in a car, but not sure on a boat.... Remove a spark plug, spray WD40 and try to crank it over?