1994 Mercury 225HP Carb Question

foggysps

Recruit
Hi,
My cousin just contacted me this morning telling me that he needed my assistance. He has had some problems with his carbs towards the end of last year. Seem the new fuels with 10% ethanol broke down some of the gel coat, resin or glassing and some got into the carb. He was telling me how he could cruise @ 4200 RPM for a while and than the motor would cut out and at that point he would only be able to cruise around 3000-3500 RPM. Just last week he brought the motor to a local marine repair shop and they told him he needs (3) new carburetors. Well than the guy says Merc has discontinued the carbs on this motor and he will have to buy a new motor.
My questions are......
Does this sound realistic?
Can't the carbs be rebuilt rather than sourcing out a discontinued carb (new or used) or buy a new motor?
Doesn't Mercury just sell the complete carb rebuild kit?

Thank You

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1994 Mercury 225HP Carb Question

Start by finding a differant dealer, that ones a parts changer, There are kits available for the carbs and almost anyone should be able to repair them

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Laddies said:
Start by finding a differant dealer, that ones a parts changer, There are kits available for the carbs and almost anyone should be able to repair them

agreed!

gss036

Commander

If he has Whaler, he going to have to address the paite(?) tank, lots of post on the Whaler board about old tanks being disolved by the fuels.
I agree with the other posts, rebuild the carbs. Expensive to pay the labor but if he can't do it himself, what choice do you have?

j_martin

Admiral

The snot get's caught in the thumb sized mercury filter. Try replacing the filter only and running off a clean portable tank. You might be surprised.

Gasket kits for those carbs run under $10, needle and seats are bout $10 a set. The floats are probably OK unless someone put on old junk carbs with the foam floats.

Once the tank is compromised, it's gotta be fixed. I personally will only run gas with no alcohol, (so called non-oxygenated) in my outboard engine, or even in my lawn mower.

hope it helps
John