Leaking Trim motor

RV-Dean

Seaman Apprentice
My new to me (7 days) Larson 186 Senza has a 5.0 ltr Merc. The trim motor is leaking ATF inside the bilge. It has quick disconnects and I plan to watch them while I have someone trim up and down. Dose anyone have any recent experience with this and can tell me were to look?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Leaking Trim motor

Where is the oil coming from? Without knowing that, it's impossible to tell you how to fix it.
Look around the trim pump and hoses and connections while someone is running the trim up and down and look for the leak.
It's not a common problem and seldom happens.

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does it leak out the res.without operating the trim? have replaced many a cracked res.on Mercs.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Isn't it also possible the fluid in the bilge is power steering fluid? Clean everything in the bilge and engine then start checking for leaks..

RV-Dean

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input everyone. After my one and only outing the trim tank was down 1/2 it was previously full and held full for about 6 days. So I was assumeing that it was not a tank leak. The Power stearing is still full.

Gary, I just moved from Concord last year. I lived there for 11 years.

RV-Dean

Seaman Apprentice

I/O said:
Y does it have quick disconnects?

Good question ...... it came from the factory that way but I don't really see the benefit.