Dirty fuel tank

way2fast72

Cadet
Boat has set for a few years,looks like all gas evaporated and left sticky oily residue.tryed just adding gas,but dosent seem to be cutting it.Any suggestions how to properly clean tank? its a plastic tank.thanks for any help

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Dirty fuel tank

Portable or built in?? If portable dump all the gas out and flush with fresh water. Add a quart or so of paint thinner, a hand full of fairly large nuts, and shake vigorously. You may want to repeat this a time or two until it is clean. Empty, dry with compressed air and refill with fresh gas.

Now is the time to install an in line fuel filter water seperator if you don't have one already.

Oh - - - and WELCOME!!!

duff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just went through this process with a under deck tank i had let sit for about 5 yrs. still had gas in mine but not good i put 5 gal of gas in and let sit then drained it. i then took a coat hanger folded it in half and taped the whole thing except the last 4 inches or so. this allowed me to place rags in the opening. then i removed the fuel sensor/float part. (good thing i did it was in horrible shape) and con tinued to rub the bottom and sides of tank till it looked the same all over the sides and bottom. it does take time to do. just a option if it is big under deck tank.

good luck.

duff

way2fast72

Cadet

Thanks for replys,this is a big permanant tank,but I have removed it from the boat.I put some fresh gas in it and let it sit for about a week,but just dosent seem to be breaking the stuff down,I was wondering if there were some way it could be steam cleaned ?tank is in perfect condition other than the garbage inside.thanks for the welcome solittle.

Willyclay

Captain

Since you have removed the tank from your boat, half the battle is over. You can use the method Solittle described above or your own suggestion of steam cleaning. Either way, you are in the best possible position to save your tank and lots of money. Keep us posted on what methods you use and your opinions on the results. Good luck!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I'm not surprised that letting it sit with some fresh gas in it didn't do anything. You did the right thing by removing the tank. I like the steam cleaning approach. Make sure that the steam cleaner or pressure cleaner is powerful enough to do the job. I don't think a "consumer grade" unit will do the job right. You also might call a company that makes tanks for idea's & precautions.

Willyclay

Captain

I previously read another thread about the same problem and the suggestion was to fill the tank with vinegar since it is a mild acid and let it soak for while. However, I believe that was only for plastic or fiberglass tanks. Maybe someone else recalls that thread and can post a link to it. Hang in there!

way2fast72

Cadet

this is a plastic tank out of a skeeter bass boat,I also read the post about the vinegar,just dont know if it will cut the gunk inside.am going to try and get a price from a local industrial steam cleaning outfit and see if they can do it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Way, remove the sender and see if you can scrub it with a long handle brush. You can also use some Acetone, it should disolve the gunk. You can also use some of the Pink degreaser (Castrol super clean is the "name" brand), and scrub with the brush. If you need to wash it out with water, get as much of the water out as possible and pour in some alcohol and drain again to get the residual H2O.

sbklf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Put some Gumout or any carb cleaner in it, (It's varnish and this will cut it) drop a length of small chain (5-10 ft)in it like Jack Chain electricians use to hang light fixtures. Shake it and it will scrub it pretty good. Kevin

way2fast72

Cadet

Ok guys,took the tank and filled with boiling water from a steam cleaner and added about 2 gallons of simple green.Let the tank sit for about 4 hours and flushed with boiling water for about 30 minutes.Tank looks as good as new.thanks for all the tips