Fuel pump mechanical? electric?

ripped_78

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I currently have 1986 4.3l mercruiser and after reading some of the fuel pump posts I realized that my fuel pump is an electric automotive one (previous owner did it) The motor requires an mechanical one and I do not want to put a mechanical one on is there an electric marine one that I could use. I will put the mechanical one on if I have to put it's not my first choice.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Fuel pump mechanical? electric?

NAPA used to have a couple of models of electric that were USCG approved, Also the newer Mercruisers with carbs use a electic pump

capecodder116

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been following the fuel pump posts a well...I have issues with my engine staving for fuel. I've checked at Napa near me on Cape Cod and they have electric fuel pumps for both EFI and carbureted engines. Not cheap around $200.00....but what's cheap about boating......

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

as long as its a marine pump,i would think its ok

tommays

Admiral

You will need to correct the wireing IT MUST be wired with and oil pressure switch to be CG legal

It should only run when the key is in the cranking position and when the motor starts and builds oil pressure the oil pressure switch keeps the pump running

Tommays

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Not all electric fuel pumps on boats use the oil pressure to keep the fuel pump running. For example, my Volvo doesn't. It relies on the alternator output to do that.

In the end they both accomplish the same task...keeping the fuel pump off when the engine is stopped but with the ignition on.

tommays

Admiral

Well this would be a Merc that somebody ALLREADY put and AUTO pump on and the owner is wanting to do it correctly with a marine pump

That would mean correcting the wireing to Mercs so it can be serviced in the future and not turn into a mess that nobody can figure out :)

Tommays

DHPMARINE

Captain

The main thing you want is a pump that only pumps when the motor is running.Obviously mechanical pumps achieve this.When you go to electric,you have to safe guard against it pumping when it's not running.To 'update' you have to wire it correct.

The 1986 mechanical pump worked fine,failed seldom.

If you are running anywhere near stock,and think you need a bigger fuel pump,your problems are elsewhere.

DHP

ripped_78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I appreciate the help. I am putting the Carter fuel pump in. The previous ownder did a good job when he put the last pump in it was just an auto one in and I really do not want to go boom. To be honest that is the only thing I care about is not blowing up, if there was an car fuel pump that was cheaper and safer than the marine one I would be putting that one in instead.