bargain 8hp 92-96mdl johnson can it be true???

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
i bought a 8hp johnson outboard ive been told it is a 92 model but could be a 96 model as the fly wheel is printed 96 well i looked around on the motor for the serial number seems this was missing i spoke to the owner he assured me the motor isnt stolen he filled out a full discription on the sales notice to me but since there was no serial number i think he just put down a part number is there any way i can check the real serial number? i have looked on the cylinder wall there is a round bubble shape metal peice that has a number stamped could this be the serial number? its hiding behind the power pack i think its called so once i get this sorted out i will than move on to the few things wrong with the motor
thanks to anyone who can help i have been searching this board all night long and the net and have come up with nothing yet to tell me if the motor has the correct serial #

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
Re: bargain 8hp 92-96mdl johnson can it be true???

tashasdaddy, thanks that is the number i was refering to i took that number into the local police station with me not long ago the motor is all clear and not stolen
now i need to move onto fixing the motor :) it has a stiff throttle,missing needle and seat,snapped canopy latch and stiff mounting clamp other than this the fella i bought the motor off sprayed a motor starting product "start ya bastard" might be aussie made? down the inlet port hole the motor fired up on second pull than stalled so im assuming after the carby is rebuilt the motor should run
this is the motor any clue as to what model it is? on the metal plate on the side of the cylinder just had the serial number
6756_1.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

call a johnson dealer, they can tell you.. or give us the number. maybe we can chase it down.

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer

serial number is H9366874 i spent a day working on the motor im sure it has been sunk in salt water before the carby is corroded and the float mounts were vanished needle was pretty much welded to the seat by salt i sat for hours picking the salt out in the end it paid off i got the needle free i bought a new needle and seat kit but the new seat wouldnt screw in for some reason so i reused the old seat im also lucky i chased down some JB Weld about a year ago to fix a hole in my motocross bikes engine so the JB Weld come in handy to remould some new float mounts worked as good as new engine fired up after a couple of pulls gears worked good a little stiff bloody bargain for AUD$240 plus $15 for needle and seat kit and small amount of JB Weld 8)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

lucky, congrats on a great find.