Fresh Water Vs. Salt Water Use

Laram51

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am looking to buy a good used 50/70 hp outboard. I checked on ebay and I noticed that most of the engines are "fresh water use only". Does this mean that they were made specially for fresh water use or it is that these sellers are claiming that they have been used only in fresh water..which would imply that these engines would be more durable as they have not been exposed to salt water..Anyone knows ?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Fresh Water Vs. Salt Water Use

Hi Laram,

I think it would be safe to assume that when worded that way...the seller is simply telling you that his engine was only used in Fresh water.

Some engines are marketed as being better suited for salt-water applications; but I have never seen an outboard that was designed for "fresh water use only"...

Thanks for reading,
Chuck

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the term, if the seller is honest, means it has only been run in fresh water. thus, should have less corrosion.

Frugal Floater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am a big ebay fan, but would be hesitant to purchase an outboard on ebay. Outboards are big ticket items and you are throwing the dice ordering from a person who lives x miles away. Sellers have to pay listing costs and a percentage of the sale, and that will ultimately show up in the list price. Here are some of the concerns I had ordering an outboard from ebay:

1. It is likely you can't personally inspect the motor
2. Most don't have video of it starting and running
3. Most don't have compression test results
4. Shipping will add big bucks to the cost
5. Shipping a used motor can be a problem if not boxed properly and fluid issues are not addressed
6. A lot of boat stuff on ebay may have been derived from storm damaged stores...Not good if motor was submerged in even a tiny bit of salt water
7. If they scam you on a crappy motor, it is difficult to get your money back

I would look in your penny pincher book or craigs list first so you can see the motor first hand..maybe you can make sale final after motor get a compression test from a mechanic. I would also favor a motor that was on a boat that was trailered rather than sitting at a marina...If it is at a marina, chances are it was not flushed with fresh water after every use. My 2 cents. A new 70HP will cost you about $6,000.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I see no problem on ebay motors, as long as the feedback is over 50, and 100%

Laram51

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Scaaty said:
I see no problem on ebay motors, as long as the feedback is over 50, and 100%

Laram51

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Guys, I just was not certain about that " Fresh Water " issue , and now you have made it clear.

Dsiedt- I will take your advice as I had the same concerns with purchasing something I wont be able to see before hand. I plan a trip to Florida in May and will look around as there are a number of places that deals in used motors.There is Hardcore Marine and Arg Marine who have a websites and I have been looking there too. Their prices for used motors though are high , nearly the same as new and you're still faced with the risk as with any used ones. I am going to obtain a copy of the Florida Boat Trader , as sometimes individuals advertised them there as well.Its just that I have this 16' project boat working on and did not want to lay out big bucks in buying a new motor. Might be the way to go if there is no good find.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have bought and sold engines, boats, and jet ski's, on ebay for the last 3 years, still haven't gotten burnt. you have to ask the right questions, and get the right answers. if the guys and idiot, and know's nothing about the engine, stay away. if he can't give you compression readings, doesn't know when serviced, impellar, lower unit oil. look else where. you can tell when they are being honest.

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

just be careful on Ebay. I like them but you can get scrwd easily.

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

troypolla said:

Excellent summary. I think I've bought everything but my pet dog on Ebay. I just got a 1989 Johnson 90 off there, from "usedmotor10". It came in an outboard crate from a new Mercury. I work for a shipping company, so it only cost me $130 to ship from Minnesota to FL (to my front door). It should cost no more than $250 for anyone else to do the same, way less if you pick it up at the terminal (residential delivery added $70 to my shipping, the line haul was only $60).

In any case, I'm putting it on this weekend and we will see what happens. But I have great luck on ebay with everything except electronics.

-E

Laram51

Petty Officer 3rd Class

let's know how you make out..my son in atlanta just bought me one of those multifuntional tachs from ebay for my yamaha 225, got it at a great price $105 new in box, they sell normally for $250/350 .. the seller said he bought it and change motor short time afterwards. the pictures I've seen looks new! he is sending it to me..

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

eli_lilly said:
troypolla said:

Excellent summary. I think I've bought everything but my pet dog on Ebay. I just got a 1989 Johnson 90 off there, from "usedmotor10". It came in an outboard crate from a new Mercury. I work for a shipping company, so it only cost me $130 to ship from Minnesota to FL (to my front door). It should cost no more than $250 for anyone else to do the same, way less if you pick it up at the terminal (residential delivery added $70 to my shipping, the line haul was only $60).

In any case, I'm putting it on this weekend and we will see what happens. But I have great luck on ebay with everything except electronics.

-E

so YOUR the one that got that engine, I totally forgot about that auction the the seller was only 30 miles from my place. they are a Very reputable marine store in my area.