1.5Mbps DSL Service?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Does anyone use a DSL service of this speed? Our local telephone service (Qwest) offers two levels of DSL. Their premier service(they claim it to better than cable) is 7Mbps and they claim it is 125 times faster than dial-up. Their standard DSL is the 1.5 Mbps which they claim to be 'up to' 25 times faster than 56k dial up.

With a two year commitment they offer the standard at 32$ per month. If it is any good, might help keep my dad on the internet.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1.5Mbps DSL Service?

I have verizon DSL and due to the antique lines and distance I am from the main station it is slower than "normal" DSL I average about 660mps and I find it fast enough.

The place where I find it the slowest..... right here on iboats!

i386

Captain

Honestly, for most people's needs that speed is fine. I have 5Mbps service and it really comes into play when I want to download soemthing really large (linux iso for example). Remember, you can only recieve it as fast as the other guy can send it to you. For web, email, streaming audio, and occsional streaming video 1.5Mbps is fine.

ZmOz

Captain

i386 said:
Remember, you can only recieve it as fast as the other guy can send it to you.

That's the real killer. I have two seperate 6mbps connections...but the only time I ever am able to download something at that speed is when I'm downloading things from my own servers. If you're not trying to do a bunch of things at once, most of the time, 1.5mbps will be just as fast as a 150mbps connection...

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

BellSouth (AT&T) has a DSL lite that is 512k, or their DSL extreme which is what I have 1.5Mbps. This speed equates to about 165-180k per second of actual download speed. Browsing it is as fast as you can type it will pull up the pages. I use Safari, yes I have a Mac. It is very similar to Firefox in the respect that it has tabbed browsing. I will open about 15-20 tabs then go through them one by one. Like these forums.

rwise

Captain

had DSL, went cable for less cost, I did not need/want the land line and they would not remove it from the bill. Then AT&T bought they provider and I changed service. I was happy with the DSL and can't tell much dif with cable, except the cost is less. Now they offer a deal that is cheaper :/

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

rwise said:
had DSL, went cable for less cost, I did not need/want the land line and they would not remove it from the bill. Then AT&T bought they provider and I changed service. I was happy with the DSL and can't tell much dif with cable, except the cost is less. Now they offer a deal that is cheaper :/

I wish cable was less than DSL out here. I can get the 1.5Mbps DSL for $26.99 mo and the cable (assuming you are already a cable tv customer) costs 42.99 mo. All before taxes, I might add.

Comcast Cable does have a 6 mo special, at 24.99 mo, but then it kicks back up to the 42.99. We are willing to give a 6 mo subscription for his birthday, but I don't think he'd be able to swing the 42.99 mo after the 6 months.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I got on the qwest 1500/898 service deal last year, 26.99$ a month for life and I notice NO difference in speed while surfing the web over my 49.99 a month mediacom 7000/256 service. Actually surfing is quicker with the dsl, less lag in my area and works better for gaming with faster upload speed.

dolluper

Captain

This 1,5 stuff is that a new name for just dial-up,I left dail -up to 100.0mbps dsl>>>> err what a rip calling it dsl

Coors

Captain

boom; hijacking thread here, can't find how to pm you. Son is a cpa, I have rental property too
Bunch of jargon, but. He says depreciation is good. will have specif in a week.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Coors said:
boom; hijacking thread here, can't find how to pm you. Son is a cpa, I have rental property too
Bunch of jargon, but. He says depreciation is good. will have specif in a week.

Coors, click the little 'interact' box on the lower left of the screen. Then pick "PM user".