When did tldi start?

ggermain

Cadet
I've been thinking of getting an efficient 2 stroke; wondering when fuel injection was introduced (tldi, dfi, etc.) Especially interested in Yamaha ;Nissan.

Thanks

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: When did tldi start?

Direct injection has been around just shy of ten years now. 1998 saw the first consumer models by Johnson/Evinrude and Mercury/Mariner with many flaws. Yamaha and Nissan/Tohatsu joined in a year or two later with far fewer problems.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

stick with yamaha ........ the HPDI yamaha's are great ........

jshoes52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stick with Yamaha, the HDPI's are great??? You're kidding, right?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

In defense of Yamaha, they finally have the bugs worked out of the HPDI system now. Unlike Tohatsu, Yamaha rushed the system into production and used the public as the last step in their R & D program. Tohatsu, was/is very slow to intoduce TLDI and that's why they didn't have and still don't have any problems. The downside to Tohatsu's philosophy is a lack of a full engine line. Their V 6 development has always been put on the back burner because they feel that the 140 and smaller are "where the money is". I disagree with that myself. But, then again, I'm not in charge of their R & D.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

jshoes52 said:
Stick with Yamaha, the HDPI's are great??? You're kidding, right?

no I am not kidding, I finally tested my 300hp HPDI yamaha on a project boat of mine, and it is great ......

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The '94 Mariner sales brochure lists two 200 hp models, a 175, and a 150 hp with EFI. Suppose Merc of the year had the same. The '97 Merc sales brochure (I only have the two brochures) shows 4 V-6 EFI engines, 150 to 225 hp.

Mark