Johnson 130 with CDI - Good Timing Light

Striper500

Seaman
I borrowed an old Craftsman Timing Light & it worked for a few minutes and then I assume the bulb blew out - I bought an inexpensive light for 20 bucks as reading through the forums some people say the inexepnsive ones usually have no problems - I've read some high end Snap On's don't work well or at all with CDI - My question is can anyone tell me cheap or expensive which timing lights they use that work well with a V4 looper with CDI ? Any help would be appreciated - Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 130 with CDI - Good Timing Light

It's true that some won't work. I bought an expensive Merc-o-Tronic many moons ago because of that problem.

Look on the box to see if it will work at up to 10,000 rpm on a car. 10,000 on a 4 stroke is same as 5,000 on a two stroke, using inductive pickup on plug wire.

Striper500

Seaman

F_R said:
It's true that some won't work. I bought an expensive Merc-o-Tronic many moons ago because of that problem.

Look on the box to see if it will work at up to 10,000 rpm on a car. 10,000 on a 4 stroke is same as 5,000 on a two stroke, using inductive pickup on plug wire.

The more I look into it the more I am finding out - I bought a Peak Reading Voltmeter attachment from ESI - and they have a timing light for 2/4 strokes - you can select either - this may be a factor - BTW the Peak Reading Volt attachment from ESI (DVA) worked like a charm - I'll keep reading

DHPMARINE

Captain

Mercury makes what I use.It's #91-99379.Maybe a bit pricey at $160,but it runs on "D" cells,so you only have the induction lead to connect to the plugwire and one ground lead to contend with.Fewer wires around an exposed flywheel is a plus.Also we get 2 seasons out of the batteries.

DHP

DHPMARINE

Captain

I should have actualy said Merc sells the light.I think it's made by Electo-Specialties.

DHP