Starter motor sometimes keeps spinning 2001 XR6 150 HP

Tom J

Recruit
On a couple of occasions I have noticed the starter motor spinning (I hear it) after I shut the engine down.

I assume it was running all the time the engine was running. It quit after I hit the key briefly.

Could this be the starter relay sticking?

Last year I had the starter motor, solenoid, and ignition key replaced.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter motor sometimes keeps spinning 2001 XR6 150 HP

could be the key switch sticking. if it quit after you hit the key. or it could be 2 wires touching behind the switch. welcome to i boats.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Find out if the electrical system is keeping it engaged or if the bendix gear is failing to disengage.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Starter solenoid not releasing after key is released

Tom J

Recruit

Thanks for the input.

To clarify, when the starter motor runs after the engine is shut down, the bendix is not engaged. But I'm not sure whether it's dropped down as far as it needs to go or not.

The problem has only happened a couple of times, so I don't have the opportunity to do much debugging.

When I test with the cowl off, everything seems to be working fine. I lightly lubed the bendix gear.

Laddies

Banned

That sounds like a bad solinoid, you can change it or test the yellow/red wire on the solinoid while is's sticking there should be no voltage there if the wire has voltage it's a bad key switch