inboard transmission question

mille73

Seaman Apprentice
I have twin crusader 220s with Walter V-drives & Borg Warner transmissions.
The starboard engine starts in gear. It does not appear to be just a cable adjustment? At idle when I shift into neutral the prop will start to turn after a couple of seconds. They are in a 1979 carver mariner 28' I didn't notice the prop turning until I was under the boat winterizing it. It didn't dawn on me all summer why In neutral the boat was pulling at my dock lines when idling???

Bondo

Staff member
Re: inboard transmission question

Sounds like the Transmission or Clutch is Dragging.......

salty87

Commander

have you checked the fluid level? that's all i've ever had to mess with on my borg warner tranny, only an '87 though.

Capt Ken

Commander

You have over heated the transmission at one time or another. Most of the time it is due to the shift lever not engaging forward fully and this caused lower pressure on the forward clutches. Slippage occurrs then which causes the transmission to over heat. This heating causes the clutch disks to warp and not slip smoothly past the pressure plates. This drag is what you are seeing. The transmission oil might even smell burned. If you are able to put your shoe against the shaft and stop it from turning, its not too bad. If it still wants to rotate with foot pressure against it, you're looking at transmission failure in the near future since it got hot enough to warp the clutches, it got hot enough to damage the internal O rings and seals. Rebuilding one is not bad, its the removal and reinstalling it in the boat that's a bear.

mille73

Seaman Apprentice

:% Sounds like transmission rebuild in her future Thanks for the replys