1970'S JOHNSON 135hp MODEL 135383M STARTER/SOLENOID

mstone1968

Seaman
Hello,
We were working on the above motor trying to get it to start. The key switch has been re-routed to a push button to start it with. When pressing the button, the starter solenoid just made a clicking noise. The starter never engaged. I tried to bypass the solenoid by touching a wire to the two large posts on the solenoid, The starter would turn but very SLOWLY. Battery is completely charged.

I thought the solenoid must be bad so we put a new one one there. When pressing the button it just made a electrical buzzing noise rather than clicking. I tried touching the posts again with a wire and the starter turned quickly and engaged the flywheel once but wouldn't start. After doing this, we tried touching the posts again to start and it is completely dead, no clicking or any other sounds. Just wondering if maybe there is a ground problem somewhere and if trying to start it this way can fry the solenoid. Hate to go buy another one. I checked the wiring diagrams from a previous post and from my 50HP Johnson Manual and pretty sure it is connected correctly and also checked broken or bare wires. It is wired as follows:

Large post on top (S) wired to starter
Large post on bottom wired to Positive lead on battery
Large post on bottom wired to a lead that has two wires connected into 1 lead
Small post on top (S) ground
Small post on bottom -Red Lead wire
Small post on bottom -Red lead connected to the push button

Any suggestions on if this is correct. I can take a picture and post if it will help. As always, Thank You guys so much for your valuable help and information.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970'S JOHNSON 135hp MODEL 135383M STARTER/SOLENOID

The buzzing sound strongly suggests a bad connection. Check both ends of both battery cables. Don't just look and assume, take them apart and clean them shiny bright.

When jumping the solenoid, are you using a heavy wire such as a jumper cable? A skinny wire won't do.

Did you buy an outboard solenoid? The look-alike automotive one is different inside.

mstone1968

Seaman

Hello F_R,
Thanks for replying. I will take the cable ends off and try cleaning them thoroughly. When I jumped the solenoid, the wire that I used wasn't a very heavy gauge wire. Definitely not jumper cable strength. Maybe that was the problem then. I will try a heavier gauge wire.

The new solenoid is a marine solenoid for this outboard. I tried an automotive one the first time and it didn't do anything at all. No clicking or anything. When jumping the solenoid the wire got hot fast and sparked, it that because it wasn't a very heavy gauge wire. I was just wondering if i might have damaged the new solenoid by it not doing anything after that.
Thanks for your help. I will definitely clean the cables and try again. Thanks

bennysku

Seaman Apprentice

When jumping the solenoid, the wire will get hot really fast if your not using the proper gauge wire. Be carefull on how long you hold it on. If you hold it too long a thin wire can melt the wire housing.

You can also get a voltmeter and check battery voltage. Then check the voltage at the solenoid from the hot (red) wire and ground. This will show loss of power at solenoid if connections aren't clean.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What you did won't harm the solenoid.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Electrical resistance always generates heat, whether from bad wires or too small a wire. If the battery cables are bad, you may not see it because of the sheathing, but you will find the terminals to be quite hot after attempting to start.

icy

Seaman

the smaller wire also doesent allow the full amperage to pass through as its simply not big enough. it will heat up very quickly as benny had said above. im betting that with the proper size wire you will be able to "jumper" it without any issues..