zinc anodes and primer question

2cycle

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is a spinoff of the thread I started about "Painting lower unit question," but where are the zinc anodes on a 1500 Merc Inline 6 (pardon the ignorance)? I'm going to prime/paint the lower unit and know not to paint them, but just not sure how to identify them?

Also, does the zinc chromate primer only have to be used beneath the waterline? I've already primed the cowling with the regular Rustoleum automotive primer and now am wondering if that will be OK? Thanks for the info and shared knowledge..

Bondo

Staff member
Re: zinc anodes and primer question

This is a spinoff of the thread I started about "Painting lower unit question," but where are the zinc anodes on a 1500 Merc Inline 6 (pardon the ignorance)? I'm going to prime/paint the lower unit and know not to paint them, but just not sure how to identify them?

It's Just Behind,+ Above the Prop.....
It Probably looks like a little Fin on your motor...... But it could be a Flat Plate style....

Also, does the zinc chromate primer only have to be used beneath the waterline? I've already primed the cowling with the regular Rustoleum automotive primer and now am wondering if that will be OK? Thanks for the info and shared knowledge..

ANY Bare Aluminum should be primed with Z/C primer....
Regardless of Where it rides......

2cycle

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bond-o, thanks for the reply and info!

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got any pics of your progress? I have the same motor to refinish.

2cycle

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jddenham,

Sorry for the long delay in responding: I don't have any pictures as of yet, but can work on getting some up at some point. I've basically removed the decals with a hair dryer and acetone to remove the residual adhesive. I've sanded and primed the cowling, but there are a few little spots I still need to correct. The lower unit I've sanded, but still need a lot of touch up. It's a lot of work. I know you've got to be excited about doing yours? I can't wait to see the Tower of Power restored to some semblanceor original glory!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Note: If you want to remove decal adhesive without destroying paint, use Xylene. You need to rub some, but it eventually gets it off