Trim pump problems Volvo 270T

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all, IIt seems my old 270T is in need of a little TLC, some of you may remember I rebuilt the trim and tilt cylinders last year and while that all turned out fine I’m now contemplating a new pump. The original just doesn’t have the speed anymore and it’s taking forever to get through the trim stage and into the tilt stage. It has been getting slower and noisier for a few years now and I’m told the rebuild kit and or the parts required are NLA. So, my intention is to fit something from a later model, my question is; Has anybody here attempted to retrofit a late model pump onto a 270T? Remember the 270T has a dual hydraulic circuit that is unique to the ‘T’ (so I’m told)…………….. but the later models also seem to be dual circuit so I'm hoping>>>>>>

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Trim pump problems Volvo 270T

Wow I knew there was a reason I didn't go with the 270 transom shield. When building my 280T I could use a Mercruiser pump trim. Made life a lot easier.
If I remember right "Vrod" has a bunch of 270T parts and maybe a pump. You would have to ask.:|

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, (vrod is away for a coupe of weeks), although I have thought about a 'replacement' 270 pump but they are all 'old' now and the chances are they won't be much better than what I have now. I have looked hard at the later model pumps and fitting them won't be a problem but I have no idea re their suitability; flow rate? pressure? circuit change over control from trim to tilt? Really hoping somebody here has done this already.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Us folks with Volvo Penta's and trim are a strange breed bud. I hear Don is going to be away for a week so....I think he would be your best bet for a answer.

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Don mentioned a while ago he hadn't even seen a 270'T' a Gazzilion 270's but yeah they are rare. Just have to hold my breath for a while I guess. If nobody talks me out of it than I'll proceed, if it works I'll let you know.