89 johnson 88 spl tilt question

strangeling

Cadet
ok the tilt motor went out on my boat and i got my hands on a new tilt motor from a friend who was tired of it sitting in his garage......the problem is the old motor is a 3 wire motor and the new one is a two wire motor.....can i just get the relays and run the wires and everything be cool or what??....i have not the money to buy a new motor but i can scrape up 20 bucks for relays.....help please....it's killing me to have to wait for my buddies to hit the water before i get to fish.....thanks guys

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 89 johnson 88 spl tilt question

Welcome strangeling!

'Fraid it won't work.....easily. The three wire motor is a common ground motor where the motor on the 88 is bipolar. You would have to do some real fancy rewiring to get the three wire to work with your set up. Pop in to your local library. They sometimes carry the generic service manuals like Seloc and Clymers. Both have wiring diagrams that you can look at. But it would be really easier to look around and find a two wire motor.

The two wire motors sometime show up on ebay...might check there.

strangeling

Cadet

like i said i have the two wire motor but the motor that came off the thing is a three wire system.....the boat is a 79 skeeter bass boat that i've copletely redone.....i just need to know how to hook up the new two wire motor to the thing......if i have to i can get relays and a new control switch but i just can't drop the cash on a new motor right now.....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

hay, welcome to i boats, i've got an 88 88spl. email me, i'll send you the wiring diagram of the t & t, that is on the motor. you'll have to figure out how to rewire. but like said, i'd bite the bullet and go to ebay. click my name it will give you the email address, i'm in Jax. is it possible the motor has been changed before to a 3 wire, the diagram only shows 2 wire. green and blue.

strangeling

Cadet

apparently no one's getting it or maybe i'm not so maybe this will make it easy.....i have 1 new arco 6220 two wire motor.....the motor that came off my boat, the bad one, is a three wire....i'll be happy to trade anyone for a new three wire tilt motor that has the same bolt holes....i don't know if they're universal mount or not....or i will listen to anyone who knows if i can take a two wire tilt motor and hook it up to a system that was running a three wire tilt motor....if it isn't possible for less than 50 bucks or so then i will have to determine what the model number is for a new three wire tilt motor to replace the bad one that i think was stock on a 1979 skeeter sw150.....the motor is not the original motor (obviuosly) but they have apparently rigged this original tilt system to work with the newer motor...thanks again

tashasdaddy

strangling, get the model number off the transom bracket, let's make sure your is an 89 that some one has rigged. like i said i can send you the diagram. but i can't see what someone else has rigged.

tashasdaddy

brp, is down but iboats shows, all 88 spl's have the tilt same motor. by chance does the old motor have a part # stamped on it? ok, this is a chance, with a elect tester. on my i/o there are 3 wires. ground, one is up, one is down. get someone to push the button and check. the new motor by the diagram looks like it ground to the engine. not sure but a guess.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I think the three wire motors last year was around 80'. Might be someone before strangeling rigged a three wire set up to the 88spl. Sorry strangeling if your thread wasn't understood.

strangeling

Cadet

ran the model number and it is an 89.....checked that looking f or other parts....the other motor was rusted to hell, i lightly ran it over a wire wheel but there's nothing.....there was a ground wire an up and a down wire going to the old motor ........we tried grounding to a bolt on the new motor with a battery charger and got nothing but when we hooked the positive to one and neg to the other then it worked of course....the same but backwards the other way....is there any way to ground the arco 6220 to the frame or motor or anything???....when it's bolted in is it grounded off the whole thing???....i know the relays hold both sides to ground until you press the switch and then it sends the positive to whichever side you're shooting for, either to go up or down.....couldn't i just get the relay block and run my up and down and ground to that and then just run the motor wires to the relays or is there more to it than that???.....if pics would help i can take em but all there is there are the three wires.....i don't have the relays on my motor....looks like they were taken off because my buddy has a newer (95 i think) 90 hp and where his relay block is i just have holes where the bolts that hold it on go.....i'll hunt for a wiring diagram tonite to see how they are supposed to be ran and maybe i can get a plan from there.....or maybe i'll just go to a marine shop and see if they'll swap motors with me...it's a long shot but someone might do a trade...the motor i have is brand new in the box...it's obvious that it hasn't been used....

strangeling

Cadet

and how come all my question marks became emoticons....lol.....hi tech i am not....lol.....

tashasdaddy

going to the motor is a ground, and to postive wires,. since the motor is grounded to the motor, i dont think you need the ground wire as on some motors, just the 2 senders, which are postive electricity. like i said get a tester. with the battey connected, push up on the tilt switch. check the wires. you should get a reading on 2 wires only, then push down, and 2 wires should read. the common wire is the ground.

take the ground and ground it to the motor frame, i don't know which is up & down on the motor, but right now it doesn't matter, connect the wires one from the sender to one on the motor, work the switch, it should run. then connect the other sender wire to the other motor wire. it should work. if this works, mount the motor and figure out which wire runs the motor for up, and which for down. i've done a little shade tree mechanics in the past.

i think this will help more thant the diagrams. but they are coming.

if your getting 42 out of it your good. i get 45 on an 18' aluminum center console..

need more help HOLLAR.

tashasdaddy

go to your user area top left of the page, and disallow emotcons.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The 6220 has the 2 wire system. The electronics in the box literally reverse the polarity to each of the two wires depending on which way you hit the trim switch. There is no common ground and therefore no easy way, as OBJ said.

strangeling

Cadet

ezeke said:
The 6220 has the 2 wire system. The electronics in the box literally reverse the polarity to each of the two wires depending on which way you hit the trim switch. There is no common ground and therefore no easy way, as OBJ said.

exactly...that's why the relays are here....or in my case supposed to be there but aren't.....how hard is it to wire up the relays???....they look to be attached to a sort of distribution block so therefore if i got the block and relays can i just hook the two positives (up and down) and the ground to the block and then hook the relays into this block and everything be cool or is there more to it than this??....oh btw thanks for the diagrams bob....i'm brainstrming on these now but i see alot of wires going to the rrlays but are they all neccesary or can i just use the three i have into the block and then that should have the required wiring to connect the relays...or am i way off here

strangeling

Cadet

i konw there is no way to just hook up the wires to the motor and make it work all i need to know is how hard it is to install the relays that are supposed to be there but aren't so i can use a two wire system....sorry if i keep repeating myself i'm getting frustrated with this because i know how the thing works and i know what will make it work i think but i just don't know about the wiring for the relays......thanks to all who are trying to help me out....i'm just a flat broke dude trying to get back on the water doing what i love to do without shelling out cash i just don't have right now

tashasdaddy

yeah i email him the diagram. finally quit raining, here's a pic

MVC-001S.jpg