'97 Johnson 90hp Boggs on acceleration under load

wishin

Recruit
I've been reading past posts on this forum for help in resolving my problem and found them very helpful.

Since I corrected the no power issue on my boat this weekend, thought I'd share my findings in case someone else out there can benefit.

My problem began this summer whenever I went on plane, and it started happening at about 3100-3300 rpms. At that time she acted like I lost fuel flow or pressure, bogg down and lose power. But, would not stall and after a brief wait of no more than 30-60 seconds would run fine until I quickly went on plane and reached the stated rpms. (Similar to what happens when you run an outboard with a gas tank cap valve closed.)

Over a period of several months of weekend tinkering and tryout, the rpms at which she started to act up dropped to 2000. In the meantime I sprayed carb cleaner in the throttle body, cleaned fuel filter, changed to fresh fuel, changed spark plugs (after 600 hrs of use - not bad), and added carb cleaner to the fuel/oil tank. I subscribe to the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid).

My next step was to replace the fuel primer bulb and hose and run the motor directly from a 6 gal can - she ran perfectly! However, when I connected the new bulb to my boat's tank it went back to bogging down. I had a difficult time tracing the feed line since my boat's a Grumman deck boat. After locating the fitting (access panel under a seat), I pulled the pickup tube out and the metal screen was plugged with debis. It's a wonder she ran at all.

After cleaning she's running like new again. Sorry for the long post, but want to save someone else the troubleshooting headaches,

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '97 Johnson 90hp Boggs on acceleration under load

also a clogged vent line will cause this. bees, ants, all kinda kritters, like them spaces.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for sharing that experience, wishin.

I wish more folks would try using a different tank - there would be fewer motors in the boneyard.

wishin

Recruit

ezeke said:
Thanks for sharing that experience, wishin.

I wish more folks would try using a different tank - there would be fewer motors in the boneyard.

Your constructive advice throughout this forum is something I've noticed in my search for answers. Thanks for all that time and knowledge, Ezeke.