Humminbird Materix 17 depth finder "OPINION" ?

gss036

Commander
I've got a Humminbird Materix 17 on order to replace my broken Eagle Seafinder 480DF.
It looks to have everything I need/want and more and the price ($144) was definately right. I realize it is a discontinued model, but if it works for more than the 22 months that the Eagle gave, I will be very happy.
I fish salwater in about 80-150 ft depths and getting to the to the point where I need the big numbers so I can from the rear of my 23WA.

PIPER354

Cadet
Re: Humminbird Materix 17 depth finder

I have a Matrix 12 that replaced an SX100. Have been happy with both. I had the SX100 for 7 years with out failure. It is sitting in the attic right now and still workd fine. I have only had the Matrix for a year.

gss036

Commander

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully this one last that long.
I have an "old" Sitex, somewhere around 1987/1988 model and it was working when I took it off (2 years ago)the boat, just could not see the small letters very well.

MASTER Brian

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a Matrix 17 that I have used since last fall and I like it. I finally got a cable from Humminbird that hooks my Garmin Etrex Legend GPS into it. I haven't had it out yet since I added the GPS, but I think that's gonna be great to have. I now have speed, time, etc on my Matrix screen which is easy to read.

gss036

Commander

I have a GPS antenna coming.
How did you hook up your Garmin hand held to it? I never thought seriously about doing, that but I do have a Garmin 176C unit that I also use. I figured for $80, it would nice to have a back up as I have been caught in some heavy fog in the past that rolled in totally unexpected.
Here in the San Juans/ Canadian Gulf Islands, some areas get tight with all the islands, rock piles and narrow passages.

MASTER Brian

Contact Humminbird, they had a cable that wired right into both of my units. I was actually about to buy a cable from Garmin and a cable from Humminbird for the GPS antenna, but they told me they had a cable already made. Besides wiring into a + & - source under the dash, all I had to do was change the output mode of my GPS.

I think the cable was about $40. The cable also Y's off so that you can run it to another fishfinder if need be.

gss036

Commander

Thanks for the info. I spent $80 on the new GPS antenna, so I will go with that and use it for back up unit to my Garmin. I bought it for the "LARGE" numbers so I can see bottom depth from the back of my 23WA.

MASTER Brian

Well, the antenna would be nice to have, if you don't want to worry about forgetting the Garmin.

dpfundst

Seaman

gss036 said:
I've got a Humminbird Materix 17 on order to replace my broken Eagle Seafinder 480DF.
It looks to have everything I need/want and more and the price ($144) was definately right. I realize it is a discontinued model, but if it works for more than the 22 months that the Eagle gave, I will be very happy.
I fish salwater in about 80-150 ft depths and getting to the to the point where I need the big numbers so I can from the rear of my 23WA.

dpfundst

Seaman

Hi,

I used a Matrix 17 with the GPS antennae last season. It was great, was really helpful while fishing.
The addition of location and speed were a benefit. Although this model does not allow Chart overlays, I added numerous marks, and waypoints which really helped. The only problem I have had with this unit is it generated condensation on the screen when powered up. It would clear up after a bit but it was a pain at times.

gss036

Commander

I have been able to use it only once so far, and I like what I see. I also hooked up the GPS antenna and get good WAAS reception. I figured out how to add waypoints from my list and have put the most needed ones in, now to get a break in the weather to go out again. 25-30 MPH winds w/rain again today.
Salmon fishing ends for us here on the 31st, so hopefully I will get one more day on next week.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Gary, where did you find the antenna for $80.00??

MASTER Brian

That seems to be the price for the puck style antennas. At least I believe that's what Gander Mountain wanted. I also checked ebay and a few other places.

gss036

Commander

It was at ProSourceGPS. With shipping to my door, it was $92.15, but I just checked the site and they now have the price at $101.48 + shipping.
There was one of old 12 channel at Cabela's bargin cave, but I just checked there it is no longer listed.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Humminbird Matrix 17 depth finder

Re: Humminbird Matrix 17 depth finder

Ok, thanks. I did find it at boatersworld for 82.00 plus shipping. I'm gonna see how the hand held works out first. Then I may go to the permanent install...

gss036

Commander

Weather was cooperative yesterday and so was fishing. Limited w/my 1 salmon in about 20 minutes and was able to take time to play with the unit and check way points, etc. I am impressed with the unit for what it can do being that it was so cheap.
The only thing I haven't got down yet is that I loose the depth above 20 mph. The impulse hangs right in there all the way to 40 mph. I have already lowered the puck once so may have to go down a little more.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Might check the angle of the puck. Sometimes having the rear edge slightly higher than the front helps, rather than parallel with the boat hull....Sounds like overall it's working out well...good to hear..

MASTER Brian

I'm having the same problems with mine. Sitting still it works great and moving slowly works good, but any speed over about 20 and things jump around a lot.

I thought I had it working good end of last year, so maybe I moved mine a bit during the winter or when putting in the plug. I'm actually thinking of epoxing it inside the hull, although I don't want to loose the temp reading on it. Kind of anal I guess because I have a temp gauge in the dash!!

If you have time look through some of my posts, because I am sure I addressed that here in another thread and had it working. If I get a second I'll go search as well and let you know what I find.

gss036

Commander

I was just out looking things over and noticed the the transduecer had slipped the lock down clip. Sure hope that will not happen too often, otherwise, I will use something to keep it from flipping up, even though that is what it is designed to do if something bumps it. We do have an awful lot of junk here in the saltwater as several rivers drain out into it and with all the rain lately, there is tons of junk in the water.