Current events.... not political, yet.

crunch

Commander
With all of our attention focused on Iraq, Iran, and North Korea..... our attention distracted by the Democrats trying to run the WAR by committee, the battles between Hillary and Obama, and of course the fascination of what Brittany will do next and what will become of a Playmate’s legacy.....

Has anyone looked around the world to see what else is happening?

Let’s take Russia for a start... I’ll get to China later. :p

http://english.pravda.ru/topic/arms-330/

OldMercsRule

Captain
Re: Current events.... not political, yet.

Yup, As the sole Superpower we will always have plenty of competitors, who can become ememies at any time it suits their interests. JR

crunch

Commander

We aren't the sole "Super power" as much as we'd like to believe.

Sure, right now we could whip any army conventionally, and win/lose any nuclear exchange, but what would that buy us?

If I remember right, (if not someone will correct me) Russia has spent 36 billion in the last year on military upgrades..... not maintenance, upgrades!!!!!

Sure, they have a long way to go to get back where they were 20 years ago, but they are well on their way.... China has been doing the same, and both are paying lip service, at the least, to challenge us for what we are doing in the world today..... Russia more than China, but both.

PW2

Commander

And this is non political?

Not that I have anything against political topics, but this is sure as heck political.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Since the fall of the Soviet Union, Russia and several of its former states have more and more corrupt and entrenched in illegal activities.
Before the breakup of the union, there was plenty of corruption, but everyone was held in check by the supreme powers of the KGB and the military.

Now, few people even know who the players are.
Crime is running rampant and organized crime factions are battling it out for power and control.

Remember all the clamor by big business, to move into that vast market after the fall of the Union?
Many many companies found that the price was too large to do business, with the organized crime syndicates. Once they had payed them off, another group would come along and demand payment.

Look at the huge investments that western oil companies have made in Russia, now to have them taken away ( or bought as fire sale prices - take it or lose it ).

Most companies won't even consider going there now.

crunch

Commander

And this is non political?

Not that I have anything against political topics, but this is sure as heck political.

So what is political about it.... just current events as far as this goes..... :p

crunch

Commander

Very true Rosco.... and Russia just started a new campaign to eradicate the so called "Russian Mafia"...

Not that it will do any good.

My main concern is the build up of the Russian Military and the hostile verbiage that is coming from the Gov. com

This may be the beginning of "The Cold War II", I hope not, but the way they have been arming Iran and Syria........ best keep your powder dry.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

To continue on a non-political note.
The corruption in China and Russia today is nothing more than different powerful interests battling it out ,in order to establish the new elite which will rule these nations in the near future.( power behind the throne)
It is comparable to the development of the wild west,the rail roads and the beginning of the oil companies in America.
Then there either were no laws or no way to enforce them and today we see the same in Russia and China.In a few decades the new elite will have established itself and the anti-corruption laws in both China and Russia will be enforced again because these very same laws will protect those who became rich by flaunting them.
The Kennedy's, the Rockefellers and many other families like them did not become the power institutions they are today because they were so honest and nice in the past.

OldMercsRule

Captain

rolmops said:
To continue on a non-political note.
The corruption in China and Russia today is nothing more than different powerful interests battling it out ,in order to establish the new elite which will rule these nations in the near future.( power behind the throne)
It is comparable to the development of the wild west,the rail roads and the beginning of the oil companies in America.
Then there either were no laws or no way to enforce them and today we see the same in Russia and China.In a few decades the new elite will have established itself and the anti-corruption laws in both China and Russia will be enforced again because these very same laws will protect those who became rich by flaunting them.
The Kennedy's, the Rockefellers and many other families like them did not become the power institutions they are today because they were so honest and nice in the past.

Very good points, Rolmops, spot on IMHO, JR

waterinthefuel

Commander

I posted over a month ago that the sergeant I know that's in the military said that we are well into the second cold war. It's been going on for a lot longer than those articles.

Don't trust Putin any further than a 60kiloton nuclear warhead could blow his little commie azz.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Rolmops......
You left out the "Shrubs".....;)