moving a 52" on its side during transportation

brother chris

Commander
I am getting a 52" RCA TV from someone and I was wondering if it is alright to lay it on it's side when I move it from his house to mine?
It is a 52" RCA rear projection tv
Thanks,
B.C.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: moving a 52

I bought my Sony new. I brought it hom in my ute trailer. Printed prominently on the carton was "[colour=null]THIS END UP[/colour]".

I would arrange to keep it upright. Those mirrors can get out of alignment very easily.

brother chris

Commander

Thanks JB, that is what I thought, but it was worth asking just in case. I have a mini-van and it would fit lying on its side, but my friend has a truck, so he is going to move it for me.
Yes, I'd hate to have the mirrors out of alignment after moving it.
Cheers,
B.C.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Good choice BC.

I move and transport televisions every day. Rear Projos need to remain upright. Even at that be careful as vibrations from the road can throw off the alignment too.

FWIW- Plasmas cannot lay flat, LCDs can if the screen is up and only for a short time.

brother chris

Commander

Well, I got it home, upright all the way here.
Found out it is actually a 56" RCA, not a 52", so that is even better.

Pony, I have a couple questions for you about the TV, since you work with these TV's, but I won't be able to post until tonight after work, or tomorrow.

Thanks,
B.C.

brother chris

Commander

Well, it turns out the TV needs a capacitor because the on/off switch is not working. It's a RCA 56", model P56820BL rear proj.
I'm going to call a repairman to come over today or tomorrow.
Unless someone here knows something about fixing big screens?
B.C.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I have no expirience with those big projos. The repair man will probably be able to fix it.....the no power deal could be numerous things. Hopefully it wont cost an arm and a leg and hopefully parts are readily available......it is older technology.

That being said chris, if you are interested in doing the work yourself.....stop by avsforum.com. They are essentially the iboats of tv's......They can be a little blunt and are very opinionated there, but if you can see through that it is a great site for information. I lurk there a lot, only posting here and there,

brother chris

Commander

Thanks Pony. I tried avsforums.com already. I found that digitalforums.com was a bit better and more informative.
The repairman came over on Monday and pick up the guts and will bring them back tomorrow or Friday.
He said he will re-install the guts and calibrate it for me (if need be) and show me the basics of the TV.
The total cost is between $180 - $300 to fix it. When I called them, the guy already knew what part needed replacing.
I also made a deal with them. If the picture is not working once they replace the part, then they will not charge me and I just give them the TV for parts. Sounds pretty fair to me.
Although the guy told me the picture on this TV should not fail for at least another 5-10 years.
And that just makes it a double bonus.
BTW, it was a freebie to begin with. :)

brother chris

Commander

Arghh!!!!! I just called the guy and the part will not arrive for up to 3 weeks.
Now I have to sit and watch my 19" TV that is sitting on my 56" TV that does not work! Boy that's frustrating

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Look on the bright side - it could be stuck on a channel where all you could see is American Idol or Survivor!! :p