Renaming Dockside Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireman57

Captain
Mods: It may be time to either rename Dockside Chat or start a new forum name.

I have spent time on many a dock with people and have never had a fight with them on politics or religion. The people that are out on docks are usually pretty friendly and non-confrontational. Even if they disagree with what you say they don't call you names, accuse you of something, or question your parentage. They state why they disagree with you in a reasonable voice and civility.

Maybe we could leave DC alone and start a new forum called:
Political Cage Match
Let's fight and Argue
My Political Party is Better than Your Political Party
I'm Right and Don't Confuse Me With the Facts
You Are Racist and I'm Not
I Can Label You Better Than You can Label Me
Let's Argue Without Facts, Use Only Emotion
I Want to Complain but Don't Have a Solution

If this is done then maybe people won't be blindsided when they open topic that is not labeled with a political subject line.

This was typed partly satirically but more with the intent of people behaving like they are face to face with each other and not hiding behind the anonymity of a keyboard.

I like the great discussions on politcal topics but they always deteriorate into something less than stellar insights.

I know this will probably attract a great deal of controversy but it is not intended as a troll, but more to suggest people conduct themselves as civil adults rather than spoiled little kids.

I will go back and spend most of my time on the Johnson repair forum where I started.

Thank you for the bandwith to get on my soapbox. I will now step down.

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Renaming Dockside Chat

I couldn't agree more evidenced by the lack of posts from me the last year. :/

OldMercsRule

Captain

Ya know I guess I'm one of the biggest offenders here. I try to be polite, but: blunt so the point is made, with as much brevity as possible and still make my point. (N' lord knows I like to yak so brevity is a real challange for me). I thought that the Country is fairly evenly divided (politically speaking), we are at WAR, and for the first time in a very long time there is no one from either party that has a lock on the presidential candidicy for 2008. maybe I'm wrong. Isn't DC voluntary? Maybe not. I know there are poeple here who want me gone, and try to make up lots of reasons why. #1 I have not been here long enough. #2 I have not posted enough on helping others with their motors etc. #3 I use "Ebonics" n' "Cornpone" that really offends 'em. Sorry that's me: folks. I do like this DC forum, I do think it does serve as a "relief valve" for great debates. Maybe it should be named Politics 101. Hope you don't shut it down, and I am willing to leave if you folks want. Respectfully JR

fireman57

Captain

Haut, if you read the whole thing I didn't call anybody any names and did not attack anyone. I gave succinct reasons for my dislike of Hil. I don't dislike Obama but can't find anything that he has done that shows he has the answers or can lead. I even made the effort to tell everyone that I did not check it with snopes as the email that was sent to me stated that it had been. I even rectified my mistake by sending the snopes disclaimer to the people that I had forwarded it to. I believe that I acted like an adult on that one too.

OldMercsRule

Captain

Haut said:
Murky, quit snivelin'.....:)

OK, at least for now. You know I like ta whine around from time ta time, (that's another reason I like this place). Must like ta get spanked too!8)8)8)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Agreed....
But....
If your gonna post stuff like that expect some flak.....
A troll is a troll is a troll.....
Ya can't put a disclaimer on a troll & make it not a troll....
Just like ya can't polish a turd.....
Most topic headers will contain enough info for those who are not predisposed to lay off of.....IMHO......:)

OldMercsRule

Captain

I hope I can be like you when I grow up Bro Haut!8)8) 'Course it may not be very likely that I will ever grow up since I'm already an old FAR*, n' act like a teenager! 8)8)

fireman57

Captain

There is no shame in having roaches. The shame is not trying to get rid of them. Agreed on the turd part. There is no shine on me. I at least tried to make things right.

I don't mind the flak and I didn't post this because of that thread. I posted it after reading a bunch of others over the last few months. Nobody in particular is to blame for any of it but it seems like it gets nastier day by day.

Pony

Rear Admiral

flak does not equal bashing. There is a difference, or there used to be.

Its ok though, we will just keep losing good members with tons of boating knowlege everyday. We lose them all over the board. The crap that goes on in the DC is one thing, but those attitudes tend to get reflected across the rest of the boards.......then people leave.

crunch

Commander

Fireman...... ya did good, no reason to take what happened seriously. Stick around, this is a fun place. :p

fireman57

Captain

I ain't goin' nowhere. Just won't spend as much time on this forum as I used to. Seems things are a lot friendlier in the repair forum. When the weather breaks and fishin' starts I'll be in the freshwater fishing section too. Of course, by then people will be wanting their boats fixed and we'll be busy there.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My observations - from the outside (I am an "outsider" by nature - categorized that way by large groups including this one, I feel - mainly because I won't "buy in" to popular views or philosophies just because a lot of other people do so).

There are a lot of people on here who are very opinionated, very well informed & very good debaters (although maybe not all at the same time). These people like to exercise & sharpen their debating skills - not unlike a boxer likes to spar with an opponent to sharpen his skills. In the process, a few punches land squarely & eyes get blackened.

For the most part, there are friendly exchanges (and even some humor) but when a punch lands & it hurts, the receiver will naturally try to hit back....harder....and things can get out of control. This has been happening more lately - I guess due to the polarized & diametrically opposed views being expressed, brought on by the events of our times.

I personally do not see where any extra action by moderators is called for. For the most part, I find the exchanges highly entertaining, actually.

My advice - again from the outside - If you don't want to spar (and take the punches you KNOW are coming), just stay out of the ring & be a spectator.

OldMercsRule

Captain

Very Very Good Stevieray. The only thing ya left out is the learnin' part. I know my single brain cell is brimmin' with stuff from this forum. I learned 'bout my motors first, but there is only so much ta learn 'bout that stuff and it isn't dynamic. I really learn from all of you here on DC. I regularly get spanked, but the Libs n' Fuzzies can't key the ol' SUV here when they get mad at me for spoutin logic n' history n' opinions n' all. Luv it, and YOUR POST IS SPOT ON! JR

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ummmmm. . .The topic? Oh yeah, being non-confrontational.

The title of this forum was selected because real dockside chat is courteous and dignified, no matter the topic, just as Fireman said. We thought the old, original title, "Nothing to do with boats" suggested something less friendly (and it was).

I think Fireman is spot on about how we behave as gentlemen when in the presence of our friends and that the so-called anonymity of the web allows us to do and say what would get us a fat lip (or worse) on a real dock.

It is our (the Mod Squad) preference to try to keep peace and order, but if we chastise someone for being rude and confrontational we will have at least one whiny thread about what arrogant old farts (LF excluded) we are to delete.

Look at this thread. About being civil, and the SECOND reply resurrects a confrontation. . . then it continues with finger pointing and blaming.

Well, we all have brand new zappers with a 1,000 post (or 30 day limited) warranty. If that doesn't work, we will send in another 21,000 moderators with revised rules of engagement.:devil:

Thanks, Fireman, for bringing it up.8)

Laddies

Banned

fireman, I agree with you something needs to be done and I get on and argue myself, but alot of possitive things get lost, they are simply over run by a few that turn ever thread into a politic argument. We have a simular problem on mechanical threads where good advice covered up by 5 or 6 padders build there count their advce is embassing and the site is looseing some really excellent mechanic advisers to the BS going on over there. I have no idea how to fix it but that don't mean it don't need fixing a couple years back I recommended this site to everone with a interest in boating, thats what it was about but with the changes, I just keep my mouth shut as far as recommending it--Bob

OldMercsRule

Captain

JB said:
Ummmmm. . .The topic? Oh yeah, being non-confrontational.

The title of this forum was selected because real dockside chat is courteous and dignified, no matter the topic, just as Fireman said. We thought the old, original title, "Nothing to do with boats" suggested something less friendly (and it was).

I think Fireman is spot on about how we behave as gentlemen when in the presence of our friends and that the so-called anonymity of the web allows us to do and say what would get us a fat lip (or worse) on a real dock.

[colour=green]OMR's reply: That is almost exactly the same language used to complain about me earlier JB[/colour]

It is our (the Mod Squad) preference to try to keep peace and order, but if we chastise someone for being rude and confrontational we will have at least one whiny thread about what arrogant old farts (LF excluded) we are to delete.

Look at this thread. About being civil, and the SECOND reply resurrects a confrontation. . . then it continues with finger pointing and blaming.

[colour=green]Don't agree JB. I responded to the first post with what I thought was a reasonalble reply that you label as RESURRECTS A CONFRONTATION. I did NOT finger point or blame: JB.[/colour]

Well, we all have brand new zappers with a 1,000 post (or 30 day limited) warranty. If that doesn't work, we will send in another 21,000 moderators with revised rules of engagement.:devil:

Thanks, Fireman, for bringing it up.8)

waterinthefuel

Commander

I guess I don't frequent these forums that much, or I just don't see the forest for the trees, but I don't see too many examples of people turning an otherwise nonpolitical topic political. I see a bunch of political topics, and numerous non-political ones as well.

I've yet to see one morph from one to the other.

I disagree with the thread starter. There are other sections of this forum that are never political and not about boats directly, so go there. DC is an area for people to express their opinions about everything, including politics.

Politics is always a heated topic. If you don't want to participate in the debate then don't reply to the thread. Just keep reading down the line. Nobody is making you reply to any of these threads.

If people are leaving because of some riff in DC then let them go. They can very easily share their knowledge of mechanics or what have you in the "non boating technical topics" section of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.