Mrs Boomyal's Lincoln LS GPS/roadmap system.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
This is a factory system that runs off of a CD and uses GPS. She called the dealer to find out what an updated road map CD cost. They told her $400.00. Can this be right. Might there be some options here?

Tonight, coming home, I had her punch in HOME destination. We took a new cut-off road that was not on her CD map. It was kind of neat to watch the vehicle position indicator going out on the roadless black field. Once the cut-off rejoined the pre-existing road, the system went into an immediate recalculation then finished guiding us home.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Mrs Boomyal's Lincoln LS GPS/roadmap system.

[colour=blue]Ford don't make GPS units, they got made somewhere else(navman/garmin etc). Worth a bit of investigation maybe.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Ebay....... cheapest place. OR find out the manufacturer and they are still very costly. How old is her unit?? I would complain if there are major errors and see what the car dealer will do.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's a problem with all nav GPS units. One of the reasons I didn't buy the Nav system with my ML.

I use a Garmin (276C) and it mounts on top of the dash instead of down in the console. Smaller than the in-console unit. My maps are on CD and I download them to the unit with my PC.

I am on my third map CD (City Navigator V8 ) since I bought this unit in early '05. Each one updates to new construction, etc.

Now to the real difference: My City Navigator update CDs from Garmin's Mapsource run about $100 on eBay. That may be a place to get up-to-date CDs for the Lincoln.

tommays

Admiral

There are still the same errors in my area in EVERYBODYS maping software :devil:

With streets that do not exist :)

Tommays

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Mrs Boomyal's Lincoln is a 2005, bought at the end of the year. You know, when they are giving them away.

I'll look in to the exact definition of what system she has. It is OEM. So far we have not used it extensively. Some times it is a PITA 'cause you have to be at a dead stop to program/initiate it. (Big Brother Calling) Elsewise, we have not caught it in any errors beyond some illogical routing. My original post description was regarding a brand new street that could not possibly have made it onto her CD.

JB, 100 bucks would have been palatable, but 400$? Once I identify the system, maybe we too can find something on Ebay.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Don't feel bad Boom,My factory system in my 2006 Dodge Ram was out of date by the middle of last year.
It is kind of cool watching it go thru fields when you are really on a highway..
I figured the dealers would want an arm and a leg so i have never checked..

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Gary said:
Don't feel bad Boom,My factory system in my 2006 Dodge Ram was out of date by the middle of last year.
It is kind of cool watching it go thru fields when you are really on a highway..
I figured the dealers would want an arm and a leg so i have never checked..

True Gary, when you see your car icon going thru empty space you know the technology is working very well. It sure does confuse the calculator though!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Ill Pm ya boom and see what i can do for ya,............... Actually it's no big deal pm me.

Link

Rear Admiral

Hmmm
Link hands Boomyal a new $2.00 road map! :devil:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Link said:
Hmmm
Link hands Boomyal a new $2.00 road map! :devil:

Hey, that would be no fun. Ya can't cuss and swear at a road map.8)