How to Identify a Ficht

LubeDude

Admiral
And, are they all bad?

I`m looking at a couple big Evenrudes and Johnsons, Which ones are Fichts and whitch are not?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to Identify a Ficht

They usually say FICHT or direct injection on the cowl. If not, pull the cowl, and look at the cylinder heads. There will be a big ugly fuel injector sticking out of the head where you normally see a sparkplug, the sparkplug is a bit off to the side

I had a 98 150, the worst year, it never blew up on me, but I got a replacement powerhead under warranty in 2000/2001. When i traded it in 2 yrs later it already had a scuffed cylinder with only 49hrs on it.

EDIT
They had worked out most, if not all of the bugs by the 2001 model year, so engines after that have been quite reliable

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The Fichts were only in the Evinrude line. Johnsons were always carb engines. As I recall, most of the problems with the Ficht engines were with the 60-degree models, not with the 90-degree big block models.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

In 1997, 98, and 99 Ficht was in both the Evinrude and Johnson lines.

viclu

Recruit

Hello,I am new here, so forgive me if this is the wrong thread but I am looking at two different whalers, one has a 150 johnson (ser#G03603670),the other has a 225 evinrude(ser#c04772754), is there any way of telling the year of these engines and if they are "ficht" technology by the serial numbers.
I owned a 2000 150hp evinrude that ran well for me but I sold it to a pal of mine, not knowing the history of the "ficht" and it blew an injector thru the head the first time round, then after the rebuild (fortunately under warranty) the brainbox melted down (no warranty), at this point he decided to stop thowing good money after bad and got new power.
Needless to say, I dont ever want anything "ficht"again.

muskrat

Chief Petty Officer

the 3603670 is not a ficht serial number is old,call brp to find model number.the 4772754 is a E225FPXSS-25"2000 yr ficht..

viclu

Recruit

Muskrat, thanks for the reply...I will try to find out more about the johnson and stay away from the evinrude