which prop won't screw up a good thing?

woodchip

Seaman Apprentice
I have a merc 90 4s with a 17p x 13.25 prop on a lund prosport 1700.The rig weighs in at about 2500 lbs.the altitude here is 3500 feet but we vacation at a lake at 2400 feet.My hole shot is good,and so is top speed.rpm is 5400 at wot.motor is rated for 5000-6000 rpm range.

I want an ss prop but don't really want to change the characteristics of the boat too much.thought an ss with the same pitch and diameter should only slightly improve the holeshot and rpm's and not much else.sounds good.But i saw one thread where someones rpm's went down.I don't think I want that.

Do I get a stiletto prop of the same no.s or drop down to a 15 pitch and hope for the best.
We do mostly water-sports and so hole-shot is important and we currently have top end to spare.

Also do you think it matters that we usually cruise at about 4000 rpm's(girlfriends scared of the water and gets nervous at high speed)

Thanksd:)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: which prop won't screw up a good thing?

As long as the boat is comfortably on plane, the stress on the motor is minimum. At 3/4 throttle, you'll save gas. It's when you are making the biggest waves that the most energy is wasted and stress on the motor is greatest. Does she wear a PFD? An inexpensive ski vest can be very comforting, and you don't feel like you look stupid (like those orange bib things always made me feel).

Going to a stainless of the same style and pitch should get you more RPMs. Add a fourth blade and you could lose RPMs. But performance difference between brands and types is quite wide, even with same dimensions. In the end, it's educated guess vs trial-and-error. I would probably stick with a 17 in a three-blade, 16 with four (four-blades are frequently even pitches).

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Don't forget about set up. Stainless props generally like to run higher so to get the best efficiency you may need to raise the motor. Same with 4 blades. Generally speaking they like to run even higher. Running them at the same X dimension as a 3 blade is where you lose efficiency and therefore speed.

An optimum set up for any given prop is not the optimum set up for all props.

walleyehed

Admiral

Are you getting the 5400RPM at 2400ft?
Do you also run at 3500ft?

woodchip

Seaman Apprentice

I get 5400 at 3500 feet.Not sure of the exact rpm at 2400 ft.
Half of my use is around home at 3500' and half is at the lake we vacation at which is 2400'.

woodchip

Seaman Apprentice

Does any one find that much difference between the Stilletto Advantage,Turning Point Express,Solas Titan and Michigan Wheel Express?

walleyehed

Admiral

That's a loaded question...so I'll give a loaded answer...
Yes..they are all different...the Stiletto will give the best over-all performance, and besides the Ballistic, MWC doesn't really have a comparable prop.
You've got them listed in the order I would list them for efficiency.
Did you mean apollo for MWC? express is T.P.

woodchip

Seaman Apprentice

Your right !
I meant the Apollo from MWC.
The one I'm most interested in is the Stilleto