V-4 Looper Idle air bleed oriface - which one?

mankato

Cadet
94 120 V-4 Looper, Minlon (plastic) type carbs. I'm trying to figure out a rough idle problem and I think I may have found it... there are 2 fixed air bleed orifaces, one for idle and one intermediate. But it appears I may have gotten some of them crossed-up when I last rebuilt my carbs, maybe thinking they were all the same. The idle oriface is the one with the smaller hole, right? ...that's sounds right, smaller hole, less air for less fuel, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks !!!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: V-4 Looper Idle air bleed oriface - which one?

Not really. With air bleeds the smaller the jet, the more fuel it pulls. Less air = more fuel.

On a 1994 120 the idle jets shoud be 37's and the mids should be 30's.

If you have them reversed, don't run the motor until you swap them. The pistons won't like that.

mankato

Cadet

Thanks D. I was looking at it completely wrong. Also, didn't see the tiny number stamps till you pointed it out - eye's just aren't what they used to be.

Looks like my carbs have 33's & 31's (E120TLER-C). Had to dig out my gramps old magnifying glass to make sure the 31's weren't 37's.

To make matters muddier... the OEM parts list for 1994 120 "C" that I just got today shows 35's for the idle orifaces and 31's for mids. I am 2nd owner of the engine, but the previous owner says it never saw a mechanic since new, so I'm inclined to think these were original. Any advise on keeping the 33's & 31's or switching the 33's for 35's or 37's?

I hope I didn't do any damamge because I'm pretty sure I had at least one pair crossed for the last 8-10 hours of operation.

Thanks again.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Does your airbox cover have bolts to hold it on or thumbscrews?