will not start

harley04

Cadet
i have a 79 crestliner i/o, it started fine the last time i had it out in october. i went to start it today, and all you can hear is the starter make a humming sound. i know its not the battery. any suggestions? think its the starter? is there a way i can trouble shoot it? thanks for any info!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: will not start

Pull all the spark plugs and see if it will crank over. If not, see if you can turn it by hand (or wrench on the front of the engine somewhere where you can reach)
If you can't turn it there, pull the drive and see if it will turn over. Could be either a drive or engine problem...... or even a starter problem.
You just have to start doing some checking.

EDIT: Understand, it's hard to tell if the humming is cause by a bad starter or a locked up engine or drive without actually hearing it or putting an amp meter on the starter. And I doubt you have one.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Could he mean humming as starter spinning and not engaging? Who knows,How loud is it?

harley04

Cadet

Don said:
Pull all the spark plugs and see if it will crank over. If not, see if you can turn it by hand (or wrench on the front of the engine somewhere where you can reach)
If you can't turn it there, pull the drive and see if it will turn over. Could be either a drive or engine problem...... or even a starter problem.

EDIT: Understand, it's hard to tell if the humming is cause by a bad starter or a locked up engine or drive without actually hearing it or putting an amp meter on the starter. And I doubt you have one.

i am sorry, i dont mean to sound stupid, but i am new to all of this. what do you mean when you say, turn "it" by hand, or wrench on the front of the engine?

Don S

harley04 said:
i have a 79 crestliner i/o, it started fine the last time i had it out in october. i went to start it today, and all you can hear is the starter make a humming sound. i know its not the battery. any suggestions? think its the starter? is there a way i can trouble shoot it? thanks for any info!

There is ways of troubleshooting your engine and drive sytems. First thing one needs to know is what drive and engine combination you have.
Saying you have a 79 Crestliner means nothing. They don't have engines or drives. They make boats.
Then install engine and drive combinations.
Could be Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo, who knows, Then what model engine and drive. 4 cyl, 6, V8 Big block, small block? ? ? ?
See what I mean The boat means nothing, ask about your engine and drive package.

harley04

Cadet

Don said:
harley04 said:

There is ways of troubleshooting your engine and drive sytems. First thing one needs to know is what drive and engine combination you have.
Saying you have a 79 Crestliner means nothing. They don't have engines or drives. They make boats.
Then install engine and drive combinations.
Could be Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo, who knows, Then what model engine and drive. 4 cyl, 6, V8 Big block, small block? ? ? ?
See what I mean The boat means nothing, ask about your engine and drive package.

thanks for the info.. it is a Chevy 4cyl 140hp

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Put a big socket wrench on the bottom pully bolt and see if you can turn the engine by hand.
Is this an OMC,Merc or what?
What color is the outdrive?

Don S

harley04 said:
Don said:

i am sorry, i dont mean to sound stupid, but i am new to all of this. what do you mean when you say, turn "it" by hand, or wrench on the front of the engine?

You need to turn the crankshaft of the engine with the plugs out to see if the engine has water in it or it's locked up

You also need to make sure your battery is fully charged. Using a volt meter (not the one on the inst. panel, check the voltage on the battery, then check it on the starter. Should be the same. Then hit the starter with the sparkplugs out and see what the voltage is at the starter when you hit the key.

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

A 4 cyl Chevy has no bolt on the crankshaft. The satrter is easy to get to on that engine. You can first try tapping the starter as someone tries it at the key. If there is no movement of the engine, then remove the spark plugs and look for rust/water. If the plugs look ok, remove the starter and using a large screwdriver, try turning the engine throught the open starter hole (you will see the flywheel teethe). If the engine rotates, have the starter checked. If the engine does not rotate, remove the sterdrive and try rotating the engine again. If it turns, it's a bad drive, if it don't turn, your engine is siezed.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

No bolts on the Harmonic balancer,i guess its a pressed on type. I thought you could screw a bolt into the crank on the front of the balancer and turn it..
Sorry,not up on working on a inline 4...

What holds it to the crank?

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

Harmonic is just pressed on to crank...... nothing holds it on..... except a wish and a prayer

Bondo

Staff member

The front Motor Mount is In the Way Anyways on the In-line motors.......

Turning the motor with a Bar, on the Flywheel Teeth Can Work.....

'Course, We Still Don't Know What Driveline this is.....

Harley,... Did you even Click on the link Don left for you at the Top of this thread,..??.....
It Explains, Quite Clearly, How to diagnose the Electrical side of the Starter.....
Have you done Any of the Tests mentioned in the Link,....
What are the Results,..??..