Engine Compartment Blower

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hey Everybody,

Which direction should the engine compartment blower blow? I've heard two different things. Should it blow into the egine compartment or suck out? I would assume then that the vent up top that the blower goes to should correspond to the direction of the blower, ie if it sucks in the vent should face forward to the front of the boat, and if it blows out the vent should face to the stern?
Any ideas on how to isolate the vibration from them? I have a new one and it still seems loud.

Thanks! 8)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine Compartment Blower

The blower should suck out the bad air in the bilge, The vent should face aft on the one with the blower. That way the air is drawn out when the boat is running. The intake vent on the other side of the boat should face forward.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Loudness depends on what kind you put in there. I have a Rule and can't even hear it unless I listen back by the vent. Just figure it lets you know it's on and reminds you to turn it off after 5 minutes or so...

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the reply gentlemen,

I forget what brand blower I purdchased but it wasn't the cheap one, at least the price tag told me so. My boat is aluminum and they mount the blower to the transom which has about a 1inch thick piece of plywood on it. At any rate, it just seems to resonate from the back end of the boat. Perhaps it's the whole aluminum boat thing.

Oh one more thing, should I secure the flexible hose such that the open end (sucking end) is in the lowest part of the bilge? I'm going on the premise that fuel vapors are generally heavier than air.

Bondo

Staff member

I'm going on the premise that fuel vapors are generally heavier than air.

Ayuh,......... You're Correct.......

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My blower is mounted high to the transom with the intake side open and the blowout hose going to a vent. There is another hose that goes from the vent down to the bilge, but is not hooked to the blower. Would it be better to place a hose to the intake side of the blower and run it directly down to the bilge?

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup, since fuel vapors are heavier than air, it means that your bilge would be quite full of flammable and exposive vapors before the blower would even start to pull the first bits out.

The intake hose should probably go all or nearly all of the way to the bottom of the bilge.

Later,

johnbo

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Many boat have two vent hoses with a blower on one. The hose on the blower and the second hose on that side should both go to the lowest part of the blige below the engine. Also should not be so low that they can be blocked by bilge water.

Hoses on the other side should face foward and also go to the engine compartment. These hoses should be high in engine compartment above the Flame arester.

Idea is to suck the heaver than air fumes out from below the engine. The engine is the biggest source of ingition (Sparks and heat). The input hoses bring air in at the top to help create a natural air flow from top to bottom then out.

Should have no fumes so smell the bilge blower output. If you ever have fumes do not start the engine, check and find out where the fumes are coming from.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

On Mine the Intake Vent has a hose going down into the Bilge on one side of the engine and the exhaust has a hose starting in the bilge on the other side of the engine leading up to the Blower that is mounted directly under the Exhaust Vent.