Equivilent tire size

mscher

Lieutenant
I have a old horse trailer, that has 205-70-15 tires, which look like like passenger car tires.

I want to replace them with truck or trailer size tires, but they need to be pretty close to the dimensions of the car tires, due to clearances, etc.

Any help mappreciated

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Equivilent tire size

I would think a 205-75-15...is probaby what should go on it.The 70 series is a wider tire,and most likely a car tire.
Northerntool has them,rated at 1760 pound load capacity per tire.That is a much thicker ply tire than a car tire.
I bought some from them for my boat trailer,they have lasted great.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Trailer? Use trailer tires. No one else should lead you any other way.

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]How wide are the rims?

The 205 in a 70 profile is equivalent to a 195 in a 75 profile (195/75x15), they would fit nicely on a 5.5" rim and are available in a trailer tire.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, I'm with BobVT. I hope you're not considering passenger car tires for a horse trailer...in addition to the obvious dangers, should anything ever happen it won't take the adjuster long to notice and you'll be on your own re the liabilities...

whywhyzed

Banned

google "miata tire calculator" for the neatest little java thing - shows you side and end profiles, tells you how many revs per mile etc...