What happens when a computer crashes

There are probably more appropriate sites to pose this question but by rule it is allowed here. Since this is more of an academic question than a precise one this may be the best place to get answer I can comprehend.
When someone dies, medical science always has a precise explanation but in many cases the medical community cannot explain why someone lived. With my meager resources I have been able to keep this machine alive even though it has been taxed beyond normal capacity. Thus, the question what keeps it alive and or why hasn't it crashed. It is an emachine 633mhz intel celeron with maxed out ram. 256 m I believe. I just had an incidence of a pop up freezing the web browser. there have been times when the pop up refuses to close and going the task manager only allows you to close the browser window, that is to say - close the pop up and that closes the browser window. I am on a dial up. AT&T and am contracted to an independent ISP (intervistanetworking.net.) The modem is a conexant softk56 PCI Modem(M) Windows ME supplied by the computer manufacturer. At times while on the net the browser window becomes froze and only unpluging the power will allow me to shut it down. If someone has the capacity to break this down in basic terms I think I may be able to improve the function. Additionally here is an opportunity to just explore what we know rather than to dabble with that which we assume. Oh, sometimes I think the problem may be related to "prime directives" as in the will of Landru. ;) If you are not familiar with this reference please pretend I said nothing. 8)

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What happens when a computer crashes

Your best bet would be to check for system restore points and pick one that is long enough ago that everything was working properly. You will only lose programs that were installed after the date, not any other files.

ZmOz

Captain

The problem is, your computer is an old peice of crap. Trying to use it in a modern world is going to get less and less possible every day. Windows ME is a terrible operating system, and was since the day they released it. Seven years later, it's totally worthless.

The best option would be a new computer. You can get one that is WAY better than that brand new for around $200. Or a much better used one for even cheaper. Aside from that, installing windows XP or 2000 would help tremendously.

At the very very least, it would be a good idea to reformat the hard drive and reinstall a fresh copy of windows ME. It will run like new again, but still very slow and unstable on a modern internet. There is no way around that problem.

As in normal households this computer has a numbe of users and I have accomplished a restore recently. For all intents and purposes there is only one user set of rules and though I don't use them there are many "aftermarket" applications that have been installed and a few "upgrades" I have both real player and windows media player, HP photosmart, movie maker, quicktime player, dvxplayerpro, infra view, etc. Additionally the machine has been set up for sbc dsl, net zero and my current ISP. The oem software included something called starware 5.2 which has it own blocker system. Now what did I do with that head scracthing emoticon I stole from Tom.

i386

Captain

What ZmOz said.

Live long and prosper.

ZmOz said:
The problem is, your computer is an old peice of crap. Trying to use it in a modern world is going to get less and less possible every day. Windows ME is a terrible operating system, and was since the day they released it. Seven years later, it's totally worthless.
Yikes, did I tie a can to your tail? Please send the $200 dollars I don't have to: *** **********
****** *****, ** *****
;) ;) ;) ;)

bassman284

Commander

Z, I know that you know way more about this stuff than I do, but I would think that XP would slam ray's computer right to its knees.

Maybe that would be a good thing. ;) It is the American way. Don't fix what you have, buy a new one. So much for intuitive dialogue.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

XP would probably never run on it.He would be better off reformatting and putting windows 98 on it as a fresh install.That way MAYBE you could get a little more life out of the old machine..
Dang Techno,I can burn you a copy of 98 and send it to you..

DHPMARINE

Captain

technostingray,

Sometimes this board seems to get overzealous..Yes you should have a newer,better computer.But 'restore'was the only helpful hint I saw you receive.

Between work and home,I control and maintain 7 computers,and try to keep them updated as best I can. The slowest is a 386 Fujitsu laptop.But it still has it's uses.as long as it does,I won't junk it

You might look into system 'recovery',but if you have that option,you may lose all data.

DHP

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Fair enough DH.

I wouldn't think that 256mb of RAM is the max that motherboard could handle, so bump it up to at least 512MB.
Open the case and blow out all the dust bunnies with a can of compressed air and blow out the power supply as well, heat is one of the worst things for a computer.

Backup your data.

Do you have access to another working computer? You may need to get drivers for the hardware. If your lucky, yours came with a cd that has the drivers on it.

Format the hard drive, re-install windows. Don't install software that you "might" use, install as needed.

mscher

Lieutenant

A popup is essentially another browser session, which uses "x" amount of RAM, nearly equal to a full browser session

Since you have very little RAM to start with, the system is probably getting overtaxed and since Windows ME is not the greatest memory manager, may become unstable.

When you cannot close a popup (or any application) normally, you use the task manager to basically "kill" the program directly from memory, which may add to system instability.

ZmOz

Captain

technostingray said:
Maybe that would be a good thing. ;) It is the American way. Don't fix what you have, buy a new one. So much for intuitive dialogue.

It's not a matter of fixing it, nothing is broken. It's obsolete, it's simply not possible to use it in 2007 without having tons of issues. The computer world moved on and left you behind.

XP will run just fine on that computer. XP will run fine on a 200mhz pentium with 64mb. It's just a matter of boot up time, which I imagine is already terribly slow with ME. You really need to be running a modern operating system if you still want to use that thing. ME and 98 are outdated, unsupported, and insecure. Microsoft is no longer releasing any updates, patches, or fixes, and they will both run SLOWER and with more bugs on that computer. If you can't afford it download it for christ sake.

Go to any computer forum and ask the same thing. Nobody will tell you to keep using ME or 98. ME is universally hated by everyone for it's crappiness. It is in fact a downgrade from 98.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

ME is not bad I ran it for years w/o any problems. The problems are the nature of the internet. A good old DX 33 or DX 66 can run on the net but there are memory issues, graphic card issues among others.

The simple answer is you are trying to keep up with a formula one style internet but you are driving an old Buick. Probably reliable but not up to the speed and technology. Emachines were never popular for being the best computer but they were cheaper and did the job.

Bite the bullet and pick out a new upgraded computer. Even the biggest fastest meanest computer today will be obsolete in a week. The nature of the beast. Perhaps you should not surf the net during the Red Hour and NEVER attempt to solve the problem if you are asked to wear a red shirt.

ziggy

Admiral

to me electonic stuff today is in a throw away world. it's outdated the day ya buy it. something else better is always comin along......techno-ology.....personaly i find it hard to keep up. if ya want to keep something old, & hip, have an old boat.......:)

i know landru.....

dolluper

Captain

You could clean things up on that computer,dump your temperory internet files,defrag it,dump cookies and I can't remember if it has disc clean or not.....anyways
Start button/programs/acessiories/system tools/ will show you what you have, defrag it at least to get your files running in order

Thank you for all the responses, especially that oz fellow. I am going to try everything but throwing it in the trash. Plainsman,Yes I do have several computers all as old or older than the one I am using. I use it because it is a sacraficial lamb. if I can't fend of the hackers it doesn't matter if it crashes as I keep important data elsewhere.
As to the RAM, I believe it is maxed but then again I am only relying on what others have said. I have recently noticed a 2o7 cookie and remaining vigilante in deleting this seems to help on this site. I am sure that operating system upgrades are the greatest deterrent to efficient operation and that these deficiencies are countered by more lines of code which results in the need for more Random access memory and faster processors. Where will it end? Merccruiser, do you know a fellow in the Lincoln area by the name of Lonnie Jensen? Good analogy of the popup thing mscher, thanks dollupper. wilco. Fair enough BobT Thanks DHP and Gary, my friends call me Ray. What would Bill Gates say?;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

"my friends call me Ray. What would Bill Gates say? "

Bill Gates might say "Ray you need the newest version of Vista" but he is thinking "I control the body.... I have more money than anyone - enough to give every man, woman, and child in the USA one million each..... darn fools those mortals be!! Wait till they find out that I fathered Anna's baby!" :^