Steering setup affects steering effort?

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Even though this question concerns an engine component, I'm going to drop it here because the real gist goes to overall boat handling.

I came to the conclusion just before putting the boat up for the winter that the steering was a bit too stiff for my liking. The boat is a 17.5 foot Scout Dorado with a 90 Yamaha four stroke and no hydraulic assist on the steering.

I was noticing that the steering cable is connected to the innermost hole on the tongue. I'm assuming if I moved it to the outermost hole (see arrow) the steering system would benefit from greater leverage and thus be easier to turn at the helm. True or False?

Would overall turning radius suffer as a result? Any other handling issues to consider?

I know all this could be proven in minutes come spring, but that's a long way away and I don't have anything better to think about.

steering.jpg

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Steering setup affects steering effort?

You would get more leverage. You might get reduced radius, but maybe not. It depends if your helm is operating lock-to-lock, or if your motor is swinging lock-to-lock. Chances are that there is more steering throw available at the helm, and that it's the motor that's swinging to it's limits. There may be enough extra throw in the steering system to allow full radius swivel at the tiebar location, but it would take another half-turn of the wheel or so each way. Response would diminish. It would take more cranks of the wheel to achieve the same steering.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

In all likelyhood, you would get easier steering, but at the expense of reduced steering arc and docking could get to be a real pain. I have to assume that Yamaha follows other's example and the inner hole is matched to standard steering cables' travel. The outer hole is for a dual engine tie-bar.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys. I hadn't even considered that the second hole wasn't an alternate steering cable fastening point. Points to ponder.

On a related note, anyone have any thoughts on the preferred method of fastening the steering rod to the engine? The current setup is a single nut with nylon insert. I'd feel a whole lot better if there was a hole through the threaded part of the rod south of the nut that I could put a pin or some wire through.