Revovering vinyl seats

CaptRon66

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was thinking about recovering a old torn up seat by pulling off the old vinyl and then wrapping the with new . The new cover would then be stapled to the back . The chair is made up of 2 seperate seat cushions. Both are square. Does anyone see a problem with this?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Revovering vinyl seats

done it many times. this like you said

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

tashasdaddy said:
done it many times. this like you said

How about a lesson? Maybe a procedure on how to do this. I am at my wits end trying this. I always end up with a "loop" on the sides or wrinkles or creases..AHGGGGGG:|:|

CaptRon66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll give it a shot. Just read another post about steaming the old foam. I'll try that too. Not sure what to do about the back of the backrest to keep it waterproof. Maybe a piece of vinyl could be stapled to the back first and then wrap the cushion. Could a vinyl adhesive be used to seal this? This might get ugly looking.

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think if the cushion is too thick, you will have to stitch the corners to avoid the "loop". If it's thin, you can use a heat gun to stretch the vinyl and avoid the wrinkles.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

CaptRon66 said:
Just read another post about steaming the old foam. I'll try that too. quote]

hmm...never heard of that, what does steaming olf foam do?

When I fixed up my seats i replaced all the old foam with varing dendity closed-cell foam too make them both firm, but comfortable. Seats that feel too soft when you just sit on them may bottom out when you ride in them! Good, closed-cell foam does the trick.

I was lucky (so far) enough to be able to re-use the current vinyl and just replace the foam and re-staple. I may have to do a few with new vinyl, or at least vinyl "borrowed" from other partsof the boat not being re-used.

Good luck.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you take a piece of vinyl and try to cover a square cushion with out sewing it, it is going to look like cr*p.

Buy an upholstery book and read how to do it the correct way. There are no shortcuts here if you want it to look nice.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Steaming foam is just a way to restore foam that has been compacted over years of use. It wil fluff it up if you will and make a fuller cleaner look when covered.

As to recovering seat's id have to agree with bruce, this is not a job where stretching or pulling is going to be of any real value.