5 hp Briggs & Stratton Outboard Info

wreckless

Seaman
Anyone own or ever use one of the small B&S air cooled outboard engines? I can get a 5hp 2005 model at a really good price and was looking for info or comments on its reliability.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 5 hp Briggs & Stratton Outboard Info

As I understand it they vibrate pretty good.To the point of some discomfort.They are pretty loud.I think some of the hardware is a little delicate.As I recall there was a couple of posts about breakage when miss handled.
Early motors had problems with the rev limiter.
Just for reference they sold for about $579.Now new ones have full gearshift and sell for about $800.
I think you would be better off with a used 5.5, 5 or 6 hp Evinrude or Johnson If in good shape it will be quieter
much smoother,and probably more reliable.And probably more powerful.Routine parts are available right here on iboats all the way back to the 50s.
You coould find one for about $250 to $600 dollars depending on year and condition.I think there are a couple of guys on here with the Briggs maybe they will be along with some personal expierence.

Drowned Rat

Captain

You'll be much happier with a older Johnnyrude or other small motor. I just unloaded my B&S and was happy to do so. That said, it never failed me, always started. Depending on the application, it will rattle your teeth out. You CANNOT use them on a jack plate if you were thinking about using this motor as a kicker. It vibrates wildly and shakes the whole boat anywhere beyond idle speed. The motor is fragile and exposed with lots of plastic parts, but careful handling keeps it safe. Personally I wouldn't recommend one.

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used one once and I would agree with everyone else that you would be better off with a smaller conventional outboard. Not a lawnmower engine bolted to a lower unit. They do vibrate real bad and are not supposed to be operated in saltwater. There is a lot of plastic and exposed pieces and the powerhead is rather large.