Rebuilding a Trilt and Trim

Ginder75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1990 Evinrude 50 HP TE50TLESF with tilt and trim. Oil has been leaking from the ram for the last part of the fishing season. Well the weather has finally cooled off and I am going to correct the problem before damage occurs.

I ordered an O-ring and seal kit from Evinrude. My manual lacks some detail in this area. I figure the o-rings and seals will be a find and replace kind of thing.

But I am worried about refilling the system after I am finished. How do I fill the system after a complete overhaul?

Also, I will be feeling my way through this, if there are any tips, tricks, or pointers, PLEASE offer them.

I am pretty good about figuring things out, but the sooner this gets done, the sooner I get ready for spring fishing!

Thanks,
Ginder75

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rebuilding a Trilt and Trim

If you can remove the assembly from between the transom brackets and hold the assembly in a bench vise, it would help. These single cylinder rams are not that difficult to rebuild.

You may find the hardest part to be getting the head screwed out of the cylinder. A spanner tool would help.

Once the ram and piston assembly is out, watch carefully how it comes apart. Take pictures if you have to. It'll help with reassembly.

Once the ram and piston is all together, be very careful how you get it back into the cylinder. You'll have to get the orings on the piston past the threads in the cylinder. Very thin shim stock will help with this. Take a wrap of shim stock on the inside of the cylinder so it extends just past the threads. Lube it up real good with TNT fluid and carefully push the ram piston into the cylinder.

Once it's all together, there may be enough fluid in the reservoir to at least get it started up. When it stops, refill the reservoir and continue up. Once all the way up, lower it all the way down and then all the way up. Once up, check the reservoir again and add fluid as needed. Once you can get the engine to go all the way up and down, cycle it up and down 3 to 4 times and check the level again with the engine tilted all the way up. Add fluid as needed and repeat cycles.

Once the level will stay level with the fill plug hole with the engine all the way up, that will be the correct level.

If you have troubles, just post here. Usually there is some good soul hangin' out that will help.

Ginder75

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the great tips.

I have been able to remove the tilt and trim unit from the motor and I have it secured in my bench vise.

I was even able to remove the top cap on the ram and open it up. So, by your account, I am well on my way. And I even have some shim stock to make an o-ring protector.

When I have the lower part of the piston reinstalled, but before I have secured the top cap can I add fluid? I thought the more fluid I was able to introduce into the system, the better off I would be later down the line.

I am still waiting on my o-ring and seal kit, but the TNT fluid is on the shelf and the ram is waiting in the vise. COME ON USPS!!!!

Anything else I need to consider?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Check the innards for any dirt and such that could cause a valve to plug or shuttle to stick. Good idea about putting in the fluid as you reassemble.

Let us know how ya' make out.